We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

Level Contributor
97 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

hi im staying at the le victoria hotel on the west coast and im looking for any advise on the best way of arranging trips out from fellow travellers to avoid getting stung by middlemen ie any info would be greatly welcome

regards steve

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

Steve, go into Grand Baie once you are settled and shop around for prices of trips etc. There are many operators who all offer similar trips so it's easy to compare prices as they all have printed brochures listing the prices. If you are booking more than one trip you can probably get them to give you an even better deal. Don't book through the reps at the hotel as they charge a lot more for the same trips.

We've done cat trip to northern islands (twice), parasailing and undersea walk and been very happy with arrangements/service levels.

Regarding your questions on taxis - we used a driver based at Le Victoria but can't remember his name. We paid Rs1200 for a morning trip to Grand Baie. He waited for us while we went to book the undersea walk and did our shopping at SuperU. Again, if you are planning more than one trip you can negotiate a better rate. For our second trip back to Grand Baie we hired a scooter from Le Meridien which is next door to Le Victoria.

Enjoy your stay at Le Victoria - it's a lovely hotel!

Regards

Dee

Level Contributor
97 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

thank you also regarding the scooter what did that cost and the documents required are ? uk driving lics do they have bigger bikes for people with bike licenses ?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,529 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

I did the kind of trip you are looking for last week.

I went to Grand Baie and just visited many of the the tour shops one after another. Got a feel of the prices, bartering and the range of trips on offer.

We did the more expensive speed boat tour. We set off from Grand Baie, checked out the dolphins, went to the island of Benetier, had lunch and then a snorkling stop at Trou aux biches on the return journey. We bartered the price down to 2000 rupees per person.

The cheaper trip which can be bartered down to 1600 rupees is a mini bus journey to the west of the island (60-90 mins) and then a catamaran trip, where you see the dolphins and go to a small island for a few hours with lunch etc.

Level Contributor
97 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

who operates the tours though ?

is this a pick up from the hotel the tour and drop back after ? thanks for all your advise thus far :)

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,529 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

I think even the tour booths are middle men to be frank. It is just you cut down the middle men amongst more middle men, if you catch my drift.

We were picked up by a mini bus at 6:30 am and taken to a speedboat not too far from the tour booth we booked it from. There were only 12 people in our boat altogether plus a crew of 2. We made our own way back to the hotel.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,946 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

Hi Steve

We paid Rs900 for the day which included a tank of fuel. Used my husband's SA bike licence with photo ID. So your UK bike licence should be fine. We haven't come across any "big" bike hire places but didn't specifically look for them. Not many proper bikes out there - mainly scooters. I know there is a Harley agency in the Grand Bay area who may be able to assist you.

Dee

Level Contributor
97 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

so can you just turn up at the trip places in the morning and completely cut out any middlemen ? what time do trips go in general

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
20,529 posts
1,683 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

I have a feeling in my case, the people driving the speedboat were the hired help. Also places were limited.

In your case, you will have to get down to Grand Bay at 6:00 am via transport from Le Victoria on the off chance that there is a spare place available in a catamaran trip and the operator has the authority to take payment and sort out insurance; just so you can save literally a few pounds.

Level Contributor
97 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

get your point ill use a tour operator in grand bay thanks again

10. Re: island/dolphin /catmaram type trips from LE VICTORIA tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 09 April 2013, 18:35