We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving / sea conditions

Brighton, United...
7 posts
Save Topic
Diving / sea conditions

Hi,

I'm arriving on Saturday and was wondering what the conditions are like for diving at the moment? I will be staying in the Mont Choisy area. Any info would be much appreciated.

W

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,055 posts
1,994 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving / sea conditions

Generally the conditions are good and dive outfit in my hotel were arranging regular trips in the Trou aux biches area. If the sea gets worse your diving instructor would advise you.

Brighton, United...
7 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving / sea conditions

That's good news! I was looking at the wave height on windguru and it was saying <7m waves over the last week so was a little worried. Thanks!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,662 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving / sea conditions

There is a tropical cyclone, Imelda, in the Indian ocean to the north of Mauritius and a strong anti cyclone to the south which is causing high winds at present. Hopefully Imelda will miss Mauritius and not have any adverse effect on the weather going forward. Have a look at DE Bronia's thread on the weather. She is currently at her home in Pereybere and is kindly keeping us updated on a daily basis.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,366 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving / sea conditions

Forecast is for 4-5 metre swells and we are advised not to venture out into the sea and lagoons from today.

I was at Anse Le Raie in the north today near me and the boats had all been removed from the water and tied up, which always happens in cyclones.

Maybe it will improve by Saturday but Iam told we go on cyclone alert tomorrow - let's see!

Incidentally when they warn you not to venture into the open seas or lagoons here they mean it - you aren't covered by insurance. The other night on the news they were warning local tour operators they would be fined if they took tourists out when the advise is not to.

5. Re: Diving / sea conditions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 April 2014, 06:18