We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel choices

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel choices

Has anyone stayed at the Centara Lafayette. I read reviews and whilst they are good because the hotel is new it seems to be in a very remote part of the island. Also would it be very windy in June. THen there is the Meridien which seems to get not such great reviews. Any info on that.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,503 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel choices

It is remote - I saw it being built last year and have passed it a few times in the past weeks on my way from the north to the east coast. It does have a bus stop though.

When it opened it had a lot of problems - I have a friend who booked in for a weekend and checked out after one night calling it Fawlty Towers.

It has two wings - one on the beach side and one across the road where the rooms face the mountains. Rooms are small.

The sea is rough here and not fit for swimming - there's a sign warning not to swim.

And yes this area is very windy all year round.

Le Meridien is looking tired unless you book a room in the adults only Nirvana wing.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel choices

Stayed at Le Victoria next door to Meridien this time last year and had a look around. Was looking very much in need of some TLC then so by now it will be worse so I can't recommend it.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,992 posts
1,790 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel choices

I stayed at Le Meridian a few years ago. The deluxe rooms needed a refurb then. The newer Nirvana wing is good which tends to be for adults and older children only.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,890 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel choices

So many lovely hotels to choose from in Mauritius. Just widen your search but I would avoid the east in mid to late June, we often holiday at that time, drive all around the island and it's usually windy on that coast, sometimes a cold wind too.

cape town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
Level Contributor
5,979 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel choices

Ok so thank you everyone Centara Lafayette is out. So how about La Pirogue, or Le Victoria, or The Sands or Maritim.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,229 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel choices

All very good hotels - hard to choose between them. We stayed at Le Victoria this time last year and loved it.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,890 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel choices

All good hotels - Stayed at The Sands many times, we go mostly in June and have always had good weather. .

8. Re: Hotel choices

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 May 2014, 06:18