We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

Delhi, New York
7 posts
Save Topic
Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

Hi

What is the best currency to carry to Mauritius.

I have heard that the best exchange rate is given for USD. I intend to carry INR, will I get good exchange rate on INR.

What is the best place to get the foreign exchange . Should I get it done at Airport or at the Hotel.

Can I carry a USD card , Are ATMs prominent in the region?

Thanks in Advance

Quatres Bornes
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

Hi

It will be better to change to MRU once you get here. You can do so at the airport itself at Shibani Exchange or Thomas Cook.

Do you mean a USD prepaid card? You can bring your card; you will find ATMs everywhere in Mauritus, plus you will be able to settle payments more easily at many merchant points.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,469 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

Kaviraj from some recent posts is seems that when changing INR into MUR's people aren't getting a good rate as do other countries? They were saying the rate that our exchange houses offered was less than the official going rate.

I find it a little confusing but it seems that's the case, which is sad - some Indian tourists are opting to buy US$ then change into MURs here as they say they get a better rate.

Anyway to the OP change at the airport and not the hotel as the latter offer very low exchange rates.

ATMs are everywhere on the island as Kaviraj says.

How about using your credit card?

Current and past exchange rates can be found here:

www.shibanifinance.com

Quatres Bornes
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

Yeah Bronia quite confusing indeed...however, if that's the case, better buy USD and then change to MRU at the airport.

Indian Traveller, if you bank with SBI, you will be entitled to many benefits by using their card as they have got branches here. LIttle to no surcharges.

The State Bank of Mauritius (SBM) has 3 branches in India but I'm not sure for Delhi. You could have bought a Smile Prepaid card to use here as the card has been tailor-made for travel purposes.

Johannesburg
4 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

Does this apply to the South African Rand as well? We travelling to Mauritius next week, and are having the same dilemma. Should we bring SA rands and exchange it in Mauritius for MR, or should we change and get dollars in South Africa , then exchange in Mauritius for MR.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,469 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

No it just applies to INR's

No problems with ZAR's.

Bring your rand and exchange in airport arrivals.

www.shibanifinance.com/pages/exchangerate.php

6. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 13:05
7. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 04 July 2014, 12:56
uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

No they can't post 6 your post will be deleted as advertising is not allowed !

Deb

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Foreign Exchange - Getting Mauritian Rupee

6&7 reported

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor