We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel dilemma for August 2013

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Save Topic
Hotel dilemma for August 2013

Hi,

We are looking to go to Mauritius the first 2 weeks of August with our 12 year old son, and am struggling to work out the best resort for weather and facilities. We have narrowed it down to 3 options: Le Victoria but worried about the beach and whether you can swim easily, Le Cannonier or the Lux Grand Gaube which maybe too east for the weather but then it looks to be in a cove so more protected from the wind...... Any help would be much appreciated as they all look lovely on the websites!

My other question is that as much as I would love to go to Mauritius are we better off going somewhere else during school holidays and saving Mauritius for another time of year? We don't want scorching just warm enough to sunbathe and swim.

Thanks!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,870 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel dilemma for August 2013

I'd say Le Victoria as I've stayed there and love it! Swimming was good despite a bit of coral at the water's edge. Bought a cheap pair of swimming shoes which remedied the problem. Have visited Le Cannonier but it didn't appeal to me as much as Le Victoria. Haven't been to Lux Grand Gaube but I suspect it will be windy in August.

We have been in August but to the south west (Le Morne) and although we had a couple of days when it was a bit windy with the odd shower it was warm enough to swim/sail/snorkel every day. Le Victoria is much further north so will be warmer.

Regards

Dee

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,362 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel dilemma for August 2013

I stayed next door to Le Victoria at Le Meridian, apart from the coral, we had no issues swimming in the sea and the beach. The hotels do also maintain that stretch of beach.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,035 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel dilemma for August 2013

Le Victoria would be your best bet in August, it won't be scorching, rather like a very nice summer's day in the UK.

I too would purchase cheap sea shoes there can be bits of broken coral in the sea.

Mazza :-)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,496 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel dilemma for August 2013

Another vote for Le Victoria.

Le Cannonier is also OK but much larger - it has two beaches and its north west facing towards Grand Baie. Lots of kiddies around and its quite busy.

Lux would be last on my list - more couples orientated, man made beach and further out and relatively isolated and it's having a much needed refurb.

Nottingham, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel dilemma for August 2013

That is great thanks for all your help...... Le Victoria is looking like a strong contender!

6. Re: Hotel dilemma for August 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 06:17