We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Hello,

Plan to go to Mauritius in July end, so started reading on the forum about various aspects..

Shopping: apart from the clothes etc is it a good shopping place? Are the goods there taxed lower to make them cheaper to buy? Things like home goods, electronics shoes etc If goods are made in or brought from India/Asia then it wouldn't be a good idea to buy.

Are there any major shopping malls from the US or UK?

Ash

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Ash, I don't regard Mauritius as an international shopping destination as the majority of their goods have to be imported so incur shipping costs & import duties etc which raises the prices.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,245 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

I have same opinion as Dee. Years ago there was a lot of textile manufacture in Mauritius and some good bargains to be had but not these days. There are some boutique shops where clothes etc. are very expensive indeed but like everywhere there's a lot of cheap imports. I've never been tempted to cart back any home goods.

Edited: 28 May 2013, 09:26
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Mazza, my shopping tends to center around Mauritian tea, Green Island rum and Phoenix beer. At least I know these aren't grey imports from elsewhere! LOL

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,245 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Dee, I'm the same, consume plenty of all three while there and bring back loads of different varieties of tea, it weighs next to nothing too - I love the coconut/vanilla.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

I love the vanilla tea and my husband is crazy about the coconut. We are on rations now so that it lasts until our next trip!

Not long for you now, Mazza - lucky girl.

Mumbai...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Dee & Mazza,

Thank you so much for the inputs, so I know now now to worry about shopping but just enjoy our week there..

Please share more details about the tea..coconut/vanilla sounds interesting..Rum and beer sound inviting.. will read up..

Ash

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,941 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Ash, there is a thriving tea industry in Mauritius with many flavoured teas being available either in local packaging or in very attractive souvenir boxes. The vanilla flavour is the basic tea most popular with Mauritians. Apparently the actual tea hasn't got a great flavour so vanilla is added to it to enhance the taste. I find it has a much "softer" taste than normal tea. Gift packs are available at hotel boutiques, airport shops etc. but I tend to stock up at the local supermarket as it is much cheaper.

Two of the major producers are Corson http://corsontea.com/ and Bois Cheri.

There are a number of rum distilleries on the island where you can do tastings and see the production process. We went to Le Rhumerie de Chamarel and enjoyed a wonderful lunch at their restaurant followed by a tasting session. I don't drink rum but my husband and sons are great fans of Green Island rum which is also available in most supermarkets. http://www.rhumeriedechamarel.com/

Enjoy your holiday!!!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,975 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Ash you can claim a tax refund at the airport if buying something like cosmetics etc (and other things) but probably not tea!

When purchasing you need to take your passport and they complete forms in triplicate and you take this to the tax return booth in the departure lounge when you leave. All very straight forward.

Having said that I had to buy some Clinique cream in Grand Baie recently and did exactly that - but the price was still lower than Mauritius when I got back to the UK. Not sure how prices compare in India!

The main mall is Bagatelle:

www.mallofmauritius.com

Edited: 28 May 2013, 11:16
Mumbai...
Level Contributor
33 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Thanks Dee & Bronia,

I love rum, so it would be interesting to see the brewery and also taste it.. I am not so fond of tea, but it would be good to take back some for friends..

Appreciate the time taken to write to me in detail..

Ash

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
18,245 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Taxes on Goods in Mauritius

Id forgotten about the tax refund system Bronia. My DH bought me a sapphire and diamond ring in Mauritius years ago and we claimed the tax back, it made a big difference! - can't say I've been "treated" since though.