We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

honeymoon in Mauritius

New York City, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
honeymoon in Mauritius

Hi all,

My soon to be wife and I are planning a honeymoon in Mauritius from September 11th for about 2 weeks and we would be very happy to receive some recommendations and tips.

Where to stay (areas and hotels)? what to do? where to eat? what to avoid and anything else that might make our time there as great as it can be.

In addition does any one know what is the estimated living cost for a short stay visit in Mauritius? how much is the food? the drinks? activities (massages, Spas, diving, surfing and such)?

Le Morne Kite School
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing, Equipment Hire
Airswitch Kitesurfing Mauritius
Surfing, Windsurfing & Kitesurfing
Son of Kite
Yoaneye Kitesurfing
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,685 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: honeymoon in Mauritius

Hi Navot

Congrats on your upcoming wedding! Your questions are all encompassing so pretty difficult to give you specific answers. September is a nice time of year almost everywhere on the island but I would perhaps avoid the east coast as it may still be influenced by the trade winds which usually blow during July and August. With weather patterns changing world wide it's hard to be 100% accurate with predictions.

Your best bet will be to go through the FAQs at the top of the page to get an idea of what's on offer etc. Then you need to decide on your budget for accommodation etc and see how that works with the various types of accommodation on offer ie B&B, half board, full board or All Inclusive. You will then know if you need to be close to a town (if doing B&B or self catering) so that it's easy to eat out or shop for food. The major tourist towns are Grand Baie in the north and Flic en Flac in the west.

The hotels on the east and south coasts tend to be away from tourist areas so the resorts are more isolated and All Inclusive is a much better option there.

Drinks in the hotels are very pricey compared to in the local supermarkets so if you enjoy a couple of drinks with lunch and dinner it is worth looking at All Inclusive deals which usually include all meals plus a selection of drinks (premium spirits etc are not usually included except for Shandrani which has the best AI deal available).

I hope this gets you started on your search for the ideal honeymoon destination.

Regards

Dee

New York City, New...
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: honeymoon in Mauritius

Hi Dee,

Thank you so much for your detailed response, it really did put in the right direction as to where to start my info quest.

I think we would like to spend about 150$ a night on accommodation, We are not set on getting the all inclusive option, infect if will stay at Grand Baie and/or Flic en Flac and/or the like of them we'd rather have the option of eating out and exploring the local cuisine.

so giving that what are our best honeymoon bundles out there?

In addition what nature/adventure/outdoor stuff are not to be missed?

Thank you.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,685 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: honeymoon in Mauritius

Glad to be of some help. Can't assist further with prices etc as I'm in South Africa so my knowledge of deals from the US is non-existent. You should be able to find plenty of online travel companies whose sites will give you an idea of prices for different hotels.

My favourite activities tend to be water based. We love the full day catamaran cruises which operate out of Grand Baie to the northern islands. These include lunch and all drinks on board and are a real bargain, I think. Looking at around 1200 Mauritius Rupees per person. We've also done the undersea walk and parasailing which were also great fun. You are also looking at around MRU1200 each for these.

Mauritius also offers a lot of hiking opportunities in the Black River Gorges National Park. There are also companies who offer quad bike excursions, Segway tours, sky diving, zip lining etc.

Most hotels will offer a range of watersports like Lazer boats, snorkelling trips to the reef, wind surfing, pedalos, kayaks and some have water skiing, either as part of your package or at an extra fee. There are also a lot of dive operators in Mauritius who will offer introductory courses for the novice or more advanced dives for the experienced diver. Many hotels also have tennis courts and gyms on site.So if you like being active you'll find lots to keep you busy.

4. Re: honeymoon in Mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 05:16