We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

If you had to choose between the Shandrani and the heritage Awali which would be best for a honeymoon. I have received quotes along the same lines for these and I would really like to take a poll based on the AI experience that anyone who has been there has had.

We would like to spend 5 days in Cape Town then relax in a beach resort.

The main thing is to visit the distinctive city of Cape Town. For me this will be a unique adventure and the highlight of why we are coming to this part of the world. We are from the Caribbean.

The beach resort is the bonus winding down at a romantic beach resort: excellent food, premium drinks, a luxurious plush feel and to also feel like I am at a paradise beach with clear calm waters and lovely grounds and view. The room should feel modern and chic, a spa treatment or two included and to go out on glass bottom boats or whatever lol not much adventure sports. Also because I have been obsessing on trip advisor the hotels should have great reviews….how do you think the experience rates between Heritage and Shandrani?

If we can get this with Cape town and Mauritius within our budget great …if we can do this with Zanzibar and remain in SA great. Any recommendations for Zanzibar? Thanks.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,324 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

I'd vote for Mauritius over Zanzibar for two main reasons. Firstly Zanzibar is in a malaria zone so you'd need to take medication to prevent it which often comes with side effects. Secondly there are direct flights from Cape Town to Mauritius but not to Zanzibar. Travel time to Zanzibar will be much longer.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,043 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

I've been to Cape Town and stayed at Shandrani - loved CT but this question isn't about CT and Dee will be able to tell you all about CT anyway!

Check out my review for Shandrani by clicking on my name.

We loved it - the AI included pemium drinks and champagne and started when you arrived and ended when you left the resort.

Book a refurbed deluxe room - well worth it.

Shandrani has 3 beaches to choose from and is set in a National Marine Park so another plus.

Heritage I haven't stayed at but it has a similar AI with the premium brand drinks.

I haven't been to Zanzibar but agree with Dee's post - I would choose Mauritius!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,188 posts
1,819 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

I would say CT and Mauritius is a good combination, you can have a city break at CT and stay by the beach in Mauritius.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

Thank you very much for your advice. One question Bronia ? Does the Ambiance of the rooms at the Shandrani fleet like cookie cutter apts/rooms. I was looking at the pictures and it is a huge hotel but it seemed to be laid out like blocks of apts as opposed to a unique resort. Thanks

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,043 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

Most hotels in Mauritius are laid out in blocks.

Look at La Pirogue on the west coast - one of the oldest but I always loved its little semi-detached bungalows. They do an AI.

www.lapirogue.com

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

Also which has a better food option in terms of quality and taste. Thanks

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,043 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

Having not stayed at Heritage I cant say about there but the Shandrani food was good with a decent choice of restaurants:)

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,330 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

Shame slogs is not posting any more, she's been to Zanzibar quite recently.....and Cape Town.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

Thanks for your response Zansibar is off of the table. What do you think about Cape Town – 2 Inn 1 Kensington. I see it has great reviews...how for is it from the waterfront and other sights..I have a quote for this hotel as well as the LEEUWENVOET HOUSE – Tamboerskloof, City Bowl, Cape Town. is it worth the upgrade as it is more expensive than the Leeuwenvoet House.

Bogota, Colombia
Level Contributor
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Your Opinion please Cape Town/Mauritius or Cape Town/Zanziba

Ok thanks the agent is also looking a Luxe Belle mare for us. so with the quotations we will choose between the 3..Shandrani, HA, and lux Belle mare. Any thoughts? which has a more luxurious impression and all round will be the best bang for our buck. Thanks