We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking with lions - is it cruel

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Walking with lions - is it cruel

Have have been poking round the Internet and have seen different views as to whether the animal (cats) are well treated. I guess it's similar to the debate on captive dolphins at The Atlantis on the dubai forum (which we've done although afterwards felt a little uncomfortable).

It seems some people believe that the cats are subdued (drugged) to allow the interaction that takes place.

I have seen some threads on Trip Advisor but they are fairly old.

Would be interested to hear recent experiences.

69 replies to this topic
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,585 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

This is a real bugbear with some of us on here.

I was lucky enough to see my lions in the wild in SA, Kenya, Zambia and Zimbabwe and I realize a lot of people aren't so lucky.

No I haven't done the lion walk and I actually disapprove quite strongly of this practice - its unnatural and not good for the animals. It really does annoys me when I see the billboards advertising this in Mauritius.

We recently saw some reviews from people who mentioned that they saw the keepers use the sticks that they carry, on the lions physically - and I believe them. If they do that in front of paying customers I would hate to see what they get up to when the public aren't around. No idea about the alleged drugging but anything is possible.

They have a similar situation in some of the African countries and people have spoken out against it on those forums too at one time or another.

I would be interested in what you have found out? Or of anyone's experiences?

Thanks for bringing this subject up - its about time someone did!

Edited: 06 June 2013, 20:49
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,585 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

BTW there was an article posted about the dolphin cruelty on Dubai this week (it was removed 5 times and reposted and the thread was eventually pulled) I also disagree about keeping dolphins in captivity and the swimming with dolphins some operators in Mauritius advertise. Our dolphins are wild but are being harassed more and more by boatloads of people on a daily basis.

Here's the article that was removed on Dubai:

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2257426/

Its quite horrific.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

Thanks. I did see that and your contribution and that prompted my question with the walking with lions experience. No evidence that the lions are drugged but they certainly aren't wild. The walking with lions website talks about conservation but I'm not convinced.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,585 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

Well they would, wouldn't they?

And they don't convince anyone.

Jersey, United...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

I'm a guy in my mid 40's so I'm not some sort of environmentalist but I am starting to worry ( I'm sure much to late) about the relationship between animal cruelty and tourism. Some peeps have recognised this for ages I'm sure. I'm from jersey, Channel Islands and durells zoo does so much good real conservation work. Their logo is a dodo which I think became extinct in Mauritius.

My conflict is I'd like my kids to get up close with big cats, dolphins or whatever but it for me just seem right. Problem is that you run out of time before they grow up.

Bolton
Level Contributor
216 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

Is it the same story for the crocs at La Vanilla?

Edited: 06 June 2013, 22:27
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,585 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

Tiggipaws that's another place I haven't been and TBH I know very little about it - not seen any bad reports about it like we have with lions is all I can add :)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,088 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

We were happy with the way la vanille works Tiggipaws. Visited a couple of times and they do have a good breeding programme, they are kept in good surroundings. Actually think here is one of the best places to see the giant tortoises.

Mazza

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,088 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

I also am unhappy about the walking with lions and like Bronia wouldn't recommend or visit

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,892 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Walking with lions - is it cruel

Coming from Africa, I can't see the link with lions and Mauritius. I certainly wouldn't do the lion walk as it is totally foreign to their natural behaviour to be interacting so closely with humans. I prefer to see lions roaming wild in the bush.

Reply to: Walking with lions - is it cruel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted