We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

New here at Tripadvisor.

Just wondering if someone who has been to Mauritius before could tell me if there's people who visit Mauritius alone? It seems like just couples and families go to Mauritius, but perhaps I'm wrong.

I'll be visiting Mauritius in July, but the big priority for this trip isn't really meeting new people. That's more like a bonus so to speak.

Thanks in advance. :)

kent
Destination Expert
for Kent, Solo Travel
Level Contributor
12,851 posts
133 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Well...... I did!

I stayed in a smaller 3 star all inclusive hotel on the east coast, and also stayed 2 nights in tiny boutique hotel in the north. Other travellers I met were either couples, mum/daughter, or friends.

I prefer staying in smaller hotels as I find the staff are more attentive and other guests are happy to chat, swap books, and share the costs of day trips.The AI hotel I stayed at may not have been the last word in luxury, but it was homely and staff and other guests were hospitable and inclusive.

I didn't have any concerns for my personal safety and used local taxi's for trips out. I went to the botanical gardens and just joined a group of people waiting for a guide. I must admit I didn't enjoy the market at Port Louis, but felt very comfortable on my own at the Flic market.

If you are a confident traveller and take all the usual precautions you'd take anywhere, you should be OK.

London, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Me too!

I go alone fairly often, it's nice to be able to go somewhere & feel comfortable.

Hotels are great in Mauritius. I would say that Grand Baie has to have the most singles when I have been, out of all the resorts.

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

What about Flic en Flac? I'm staying at the Hilton resort and spa and it does have like over 100 rooms so there must be some singles there.

London, United...
Level Contributor
726 posts
98 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Yes maybe? Haven't stayed there.. But have stayed in flic and flac alone.

Have a great time!

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Hi there, just wondering if you have indeed already being on your trip to Mauritius and have any advice for me please. I'm travelling alone from 5 to 12 October 2013 and will be staying at La Preskil. Many thanks

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Leigh, I doubt that the OP is still following this thread so it would be advisable for you to send him a PM with your question.

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Thanks, will do!

Stockholm, Sweden
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

I'm still alive and active, just had to deal with some procrastination. Well, maybe not so active then, but here's my advice.

The travel from Stockholm to Mauritius took a long time. Started off from Stockholm (Arlanda) at 11 AM and landed in Doha, Qatar at 6 PM. Had to wait on the airport for six hours. At midnight my plane to Seychelles leaves Doha. I'll arrive in Seychelles at 6 AM and had to wait until 2 PM for the next plane from Seychelles to Maurtius. I arrived to Mauritius at around 4-5 PM and then there was a taxi trip from the Airport to Hilton Hotel in Flic en Flac, which took 45 min. I saw the sunset from the day after I left Stockholm. It was worth it, but man was I tired.

First advice: In case your trip takes a long time, check with your hotel if they can pick you up at the hotel. I looked up your hotel and it's right at the airport so it shouldn't cost that much.

I was there in mid July and the weather was pretty ok. Not too paradise-ish, but great for a vacation. You're gonna be on the east side in October and I have no idea what the weather will be like then. Can't help you there. Although, a taxi did mentioned that the best to visit Mauritius is in December.

They speak great English there, so no need to learn French or Creole, but it might be great to learn a few phrases just to be nice, you know?

Well, basically all I did there was to relax and you're definitively gonna enjoy your stay there, but for me I felt that I should give Mauritius another chance someday in the future. To explore more of it.

I personally enjoyed Seychelles more compared to Mauritius.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,023 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Carl, many thanks for your feedback.

Nice to hear you had a good time :-)

Johannesburg, South...
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Are there people who travel alone to Mauritius?

Carl, you're an absolute star! Thanks for the advice, tips, notes, everything!