We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with places to visit

Beverley, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Help with places to visit

Hello,

Thank you for all the wonderful advice on this forum.

We are visiting Mauritius for the first time at the end of July for a week, so getting very excited now! We are staying at the Casuarina, Trou aux Biches. We have narrowed down the things we would like to do to -

A day trip to Gabriel Island, this should cost 1200-1500Rs from Grand Baie?

We want to see the Black River Gorges, Grand Bassin, and Trou aux Cerfs, can this be done with a trip to La Vanilla Crocodile Park (as I would love to see the giant tortoises)?

Also Pamplemousse Garden I read that it is easy enough to catch a bus to that, is there anything else nearby to the gardens to see?

We are booked in for horse riding in the south of the island and included in our transfer there, they will show us a few of the sights down that way.

Is the snorkelling any good off the beach at the Casuarina?

And are there ATMs near the Casuarina?

Thank you for your help and advice

Rachel

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
22,076 posts
2,003 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with places to visit

You might be able to get a catamaran cruise for less than that price if you shop around and haggle in Grand Baie.

There is a bus to Pamplemousse that leaves from near your hotel bus stop. There are also tortoises at Pamplemousse.

There is a little strip of shops near the Casuarina and as I recall there is a currency exchange shop. As you head towards the Trou aux Biches hotel, there is an ATM there newly built.

Snorkling should be good, I actually did some snorkling near there in my recent visit.

Beverley, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with places to visit

Thank you for the info.

How much do you reckon we could at the catamaran trip for?

Rachel

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,076 posts
2,003 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help with places to visit

There were some operators that were offering it for 800/900 rupees to Gabriel island. There was one we were thinking of going with, who charged more than that but had a smaller catamaran (therefore less people) that went from the Club Med hotel with the food cooked on the boat.

Eventually we opted to the a speedboat trip to the south east which cost a lot more. However just go to the shops and collect flyers, compare trips and prices, haggle over the price, if someone is playing hardball, then go to the next one.

Beverley, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with places to visit

Thank you!

Port Elizabeth...
Level Contributor
513 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help with places to visit

We went to Gabriel island on the Calypso catamaran and paid 1200 rupees each. There were cheaper and more expensive offers but we were told by the agents at Ebrahims in Grand Baie that we'd be happy and they were spot on, it was a fantastic day out. This was late May this year and although the boat could take about 20 people, there were only 6 of us with 3 crew. It included all drinks and a barbecue lunch, with great snorkeling from the beach and where the boat was moored.

A collegue went to Mauritius a week before us and they went to ille aux Cerf and he complained that there were no fish, the boat moored at a spot where the current was very strong and that there was no coral, just rocks in the water! They were very disappointed and had paid a lot as they'd booked through an agent at their hotel.

Listening to him, I was really pleased that we'd chosen Gabriel Island as we only wanted to do one catamaran trip.

The agents in Grand Baie hand out leaflets on the streets with the tours on offer but they are all offering the same thing at slightly different prices.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
22,076 posts
2,003 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help with places to visit

'The agents in Grand Baie hand out leaflets on the streets with the tours on offer but they are all offering the same thing at slightly different prices.'

That is the key thing. They all offer similar packages, have deals with the same operators. Its a question of what price that suits you and a gut feeling of whether you feel comfortable with them, are they looking after your interest or solely their own

Hotel based tour operators usually charge more.

Incidentally I also tried Ebrahim tours but did not feel satisfied with them, selling me a lesser tour for a slightly lesser price and trying to convince me that it would be a better deal, when in reality I would be taking an almost 90 minute minivan journey to a jetty in the south east and then just a short boat trip.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,170 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help with places to visit

Going back to your earlier post - If you want to see the giant tortoises the best place is at Isle aux Aigrettes where they roam free and live in their natural habitat but that's a trip in itself from a jetty near to Mahebourg. Other than that I would go to La Vanille, they are in a nice setting, very well looked after, good breeding programme and you are encouraged to touch and feed them.

Beverley, Australia
Level Contributor
31 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help with places to visit

Thank you, would there be enough time to go to La Vanille and the Black River Gorge etc in one day, are they all reasonably in the same direction?

Rachel

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,170 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Help with places to visit

Yes you could do both in the same day if you leave the north fairly early, by that I mean around 9.30/10.00am.

10. Re: Help with places to visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 June 2014, 05:16