We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Heritage Golf and Spa

Scotland
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Topic
The Heritage Golf and Spa

Hi,

My Wife and I have have just returned for the Heritage Golf and Spa and loved it. I am going to post a review but if anyone has got any additional questions that I can answer please let me know.

Thanks

S

Scotland UK
10 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

Looking forward to your review. We are off there for the last two weeks of July, really excited about it ,sounds great but is it too good to be true?

One thing worrying us is the reviews regarding the weather and that we should have booked to go to the north in winter. How cold was it in the evenings?

Thanks

Johhaze

Scotland
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

Johhaze,

We were there on our Honeymoon and I would recon 90% of the other guests were also honeymooners with the other 10% made up of golfers, couples celebrating anniversaries and also families on holiday. We expected this resort to be top class and were not disappointed you will be amazed to the attention to detail for example the oil burners burning incense throughout the resort (what a great refreshing scent) and also when washing your hands in the toilet you do not use paper towels or hand dryers you use face cloths!!! The toilets are literally cleaned every 15 minutes or so and the face cloths toped up.

Regarding the weather I will be honest with you our first week was good (25-30) but our second week was not as good. We had 1 full day of rain and the others we had rain in the morning with the sun coming out about 1pm. At night it was a little bit cooler, my wife started taking out a cardigan as it breezy at the beachfront restaurant - Infinity Blue. Most of the resort is open to the elements. I would recommend taking a jumper or cardigan with you just in case. I think the best way to describe the evening temperatures would be like what we experience in Scotland on an August night.

Anything else please ask.

S

Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

hello there. Sounds liike you had a great time. Myself and my partner are heading over in August and just cant wait. A few questions for you if you dont mind!

1) Did you find the deluxe rooms spacious enough etc? Any insects around? (Im baad with insects!)

2) Did you go All-Inclusive? Was the food and drink good standard?

3) Were you bored when it rained or was it manageable? We'll be there in August when it is likely to rain or be abit cooler out.

4)Any advice in general?

Thanks a mill.

Scotland
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

Hi there,

Of course I don't mind answering your questions - I love talking holidays!!!

We didn't find any problems with the size of the Deluxe rooms. The bathrooms were spacious with his and hers hand basins, a large bath tub, spacious walk in shower with huge rain style shower head and a separate room where you had the toilet. There is also a large walk in cupboard where you also found the safe. The picture that you see of the room on the veranda web site (marina-resort.com/pages_en/…show) was exactly like the room we were in (you what it is like they normally they pick the best room in the hotel to show on the web site and once you get there your room looks nothing like it but in this case the room was identical). The bed area had a huge king sized bed, dressing table, bedside cabinets, TV, mini bar, and 2 large trunk type drawers. There was also a day bed in the room and also one on the balcony. The rooms also have v-good air con, hair dryer etc but no Iron. I didn't bother ironing any shirts etc before going as they normally get crushed when travelling and as they wouldn't supply me with an iron I had to put them all into the laundrette to get ironed (About £6 for 5 shirts).

We did find some small insects in the bathroom around the mirrors and sinks and also in next to the safe (very small orange ants) which we didn't like. I sprayed the area with insect repellent which killed them off and also told the maid about them but we did find the odd one thought-out our stay. We also went back to our room one night after dinner to find a small lizard in the room but in this case we called the reception who sent out 2 employees to remove it. In the case of the lizard I think it got into the room when it was being made that morning as they tend to open the room and balcony doors wide when cleaning - obviously to air the room. Regarding the ants there is not much they can do about this. As you will probably know like almost all tropical locations you will get insects and as they were so small the hotel cannot do much. I wouldn't let this bother you as my wife is not a lover of insects and freaked out a bit (especially the the lizard) but its one of the very few down sides to going to a tropical location.

We were on the all inclusive package and I have to say that it is by far the best one I have been on. Firstly the Drinks, both alcoholic and soft were all good as part of the AI package. You get all of your brand soft drinks on tap or by the bottle (Fanta, Sprite, Coke, Diet Coke etc) at any of the bars and also the bottles as part of your daily mini bar stock. You also get plenty of bottled water (named Crystal which is produced by coca-cola). The Alcohol is also of very good quality and not watered down as far as I could taste. The brand named Beer was Heineken but there was also a few local brands, the spirits again were all branded (Gordon's Gin, Smirnoff Vodka, Baileys etc). There was also a very good selection of bottled wine (South African and Australian mostly) again I found them to be very nice (bare in mind I am defiantly not a wine conasure lol!!!) I also recognised a few of the brands from back here in the UK.

As for the food - it was out of this world. There were 3 restaurants on site (1 buffet, 1 sea food and the other was the Michelin star one) and one at the Golf Club which was less than 5 mins away. We went to the buffet 4 times during our stay and only once was it a buffet the other times it was themed nights where it was a 5 courses set menu and this was brilliant. The seafood restaurant did have a large selection of sea food but it also had just as much of a selection of general food such as pasta, pizza, steak, lamb, salads etc and we ate here 3 times. The Michelin star restaurant we could only attend once during your stay which I thought was not that good but the food was out of this world. The other 2 night we went to the Golf club restaurant which is an old colonial house which has been turned into a restaurant and again the food here was amazing. The food throughout the resort at all time of the day was of very good quality not at all cheap off cuts of steak etc it was all quality. We also found that it was all cooked property - the vegetables and pasta not over cooked and the meats all cooked to your own preference. The presentation of food was also great. A lot of time and effort is put into the food in the resort and you can tell.

It was manageable when it rained. I am defiantly not one for sitting in one place for to long so I didn't like it when it rained but there is not much you can do. There was plenty of room around the hotel to sit back read a book, listen to MP3 player etc and the waiters were always quick to offer you a drink. There is also a games room with a pool table, table football, arcade machines etc which are all free of charge but you require to get tokens from the reception. We were very surprised to find the games room always empty when ever it was raining but there is only so much pool you can play (especially when you are getting beat by your wife - but don't tell anyone!!). The entertainment also gets postponed if it is raining but they do try and organise dancing lesson etc quickly to keep everyone entertained. I would defiantly have been bored during the rain if I didn't have my book, magazines and MP3 player. The Spa is also available if you fancy going in the steam room, sauna, Jacuzzi etc.

General advice? - Not sure how most guys feel about the Spa treatments but I would say to them go for it and enjoy the disposable underwear! The first appointment (which is made for you) is a consultation and lasts 30 min goes into shakaras etc but it it is worth sitting through it in order to work out your spa programme.

If I think of anything else I will post again.

Hope this helps - anything else please ask.

S

Scotland UK
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

Thanks for all that info, sounds wonderful. The insects don't worry me as you said you are in a tropical destination but what about this virus spread by mossie bites? Have read a few worrying reports but our travel nurse didn't seem to concerned when we asked.

I have a couple of 'girlie' questions.

One review I read said they had been charged extra for the 'premium' brand drinks. Were there different grades of all inclusive?

What about beach towels are they supplied? (save space in the cases. )

The days it rained and the sun didn't come out until 1.00pm was it warm enough then to sunbathe?

Thats all for now if I come up with anything else I will ask hope you don't mind!!

Johhaze

Dublin, Ireland
Level Contributor
48 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

hey bluejay,

your reports have been great, really helpful, keep up the good work

couple of questions now myself, we're off in feb for our honeymoon

1. did you bring any money with you or get any out at an atm? I know its all inclusive just wondering if we wanted to go outside the resort would credit cards do?

2. Is the dress code for men very strict? Would trouser, short sleeved shirt & sandals be ok, or would himself have to wear closed shoes?

3. Following up on john's last question about towels & your mention of no irons, are any toiletries supplied free of charge?

Thanks in advance :)

London
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

hi Toronto_Bluejay

I'm thinking of booking a honeymoon at the Heritage in September for 10nights. Just a couple of quick questions:

1. When you went in June, was it hot enough to sun bathe and was the sea warm enough to swim comfortably in?

2. Is it safe to snorkell in the sea? I read somewhere that the currents are quite strong.

3. Is there a reef to make the snorkelling more interesting?

3. If it was your honeymoon would you spend 10 nights at the Heritage? (random I know but I though a second opinion would be useful as you only do it once... hopefully).

Cheers

B

Scotland
Level Contributor
114 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

Hi to you all!!

Regarding the mossies we didn't get bothered by them much. We did take with us insect repellent and put it on along with our sun cream during the day and also on any uncovered skin at night. I think I was bitten once and my wife not at all. We used a repellent with 100% deet which we got from the camping store Graham Tiso and always use this one as we have found it works well. I would also strongly recommend taking advice from your Doctor before going as they do advise getting some vaccinations. We were give Hepatitis and typhoid boosters (We got the actual vaccinations last year) and my wife was due her Tetanus so she was given this also. As far as I am aware there is no vaccination available for the chikungunya virus but I was not something that really bother us as we took as much precautions as possible. The hotel also does everything that it can and one of the first things that hit us when we arrived was the smell around the resort. They had incense burners all around the resort burning incense oils (Citronella, Orange and Cinnamon) and it smelt so refreshing - even all of the towels smelt of it and this also help (I believe) to keep the mossies away. There is defiantly no panic about this virus.

Premium Brand drinks

There is a menu available at the each of the bars which list all of the drinks available on the AI package and also the other drinks which they have available - for a charge. This as far as I can remember is mostly Spirits but there is also bottles of wine available within each of the restaurants which you can pay for if you wish. The selection and quality of drinks available on the AI is excellent and we didn't find the need to pay any extra for the premium brands. What I would note though is that if you dine at the Golf Club which all guest on the AI package can do once as part of the AI package (unless you are on honeymoon you can go twice) you will have to pay for your drinks (Water, Wine, Champaign, Soft etc). The price of these drinks I found to be comprisable with what you would pay in any decent restaurant back in the UK.

Beach towels

When you arrive each guest is give a plastic card (credit card size) which you hand into the girl at the towel hut, sign your name against your room number and you are give 1 towel per card. You are able to change your towel as often as you wish. What they also done on a few occasions when it was raining is take your towel from your sun lounger and replace it with a dry, clean one without you even asking. We also found that they would sometimes fold your towel (including your own personal one) neatly on your lounger if you were not around (i.e. when you go for a walk along the beach). We did take our own beach towel with us but that was our own choice.

On the days that it rained up to around 1pm the temperatures for the remainder of the day was hotter than those on the days where we have sunshine all day

Money

We went with both Sterling travellers cheques and Mauritian rupees (check out Marks and Spencer's they gave us by far the best rates). The Hotel its self defiantly took credit cards and I am sure most places in the Capital (Port Louis) would also. We spent very little whilst we were there as there was not much to spend it on as everything seems to be supplied. We went on a couple of day trips, had a couple of bottles of wine at the golf club and got a few shirts ironed but other than that we didn't spend anything else - total cost about £150

Dress Code

This was something that I had concerns about before I went and found it difficult to get a real answer on what was acceptable. In your room there is a card which details exactly what the dress code is - I am sure I have a note somewhere of what this said (as I knew I would be asked) so I will try and dig it out and let you know exactly. Sandals, flip flops etc were a definite no after a certain time anywhere in the resort (even though I did see a few people in the main bar with leather flip flops) guys must wear closed shoes. The sea food and the buffet restaurant are by far the most relaxed restaurants and in here you can wear polo shirts, dress/casual shirts etc along with trousers - no t-shirts, shorts or 3/4 trousers. I had a pair of smart jeans (dark wash) with me and wore these on a few occasions after I realised they were not as strict in here as the other restaurants. The dress code in the Michelin star and the Golf Club restaurant was a lot stricter where only closed shoes, smart shirts and long trousers were acceptable. I did notice the waiter having a quick once over, head to toe check at what I was wearing to see I was wearing the proper attire - this I didn't like or appreciate one little bit. If you have something specific in mind that you are not sure about let me know as I was not sure polo shirts would be acceptable and took a gamble by taking more of these than normal long sleeved shirts - thankful it paid off!

Toiletries

There were toiletries in the room shampoo, shower gel etc which were in fairly large bottles which would possibly last 3-4 days. We did take our own toiletries with us and didn't use those supplied but if you were to use them and finish them after a few day I would be certain that they would be replaced. There was also other "extras" in the room for your use. Extras you would expect in any top hotel such as a nail file, cotton buds, cotton pads, sewing kit etc.

Weather

The temperatures were anywhere between 23 - 28 cel during our stay. It did get a little chilly when it rained and noticeably cooler in the evening. The water in the pool was cool to say the least - there was not to many people swimming. It was however refreshing to jump in when you required to cool down. The Indian ocean was defiantly a lot warmer than the pool and defiantly comfortable to swim in. The ocean was very shallow (waist height) even when you were a good 50-60 yards out from the beach. There were also plenty of people snorkelling within the area roped off for swimming and you did see small fish, crabs etc even when you walk along the beach. We did find the currents to be very strong on a few days which made going any great distance in a pedalo impossible but within the swimming area it appeared to be ok. Just off the shore (100-150 yards out) there is a huge coral reef which you are not aloud to swim out to because it was beyond the boating lane. The hotel offer as part of the AI package a trip out on there own Glass bottom boat which lasts around 1 hours and takes you over the full reef - this was amazing!

Regarding spending 10 nights at the Heritage I would say this is the minimum you would want to stay. It was my honeymoon and we went for 10 night and I wish it was for longer. We thought about going to Dubai for 5 and the Heritage for 7 but chose not to due to the added hassle this would involve. We decided that we just wanted to go one place, settle in and enjoy ourselves and not have to worry about repacking, hotel transfers and extra flights. You will be able to spend 10 night here easily. The Heritage is defiantly in the honeymoon league (don't know if you have noticed but it is actually classed as the top rated, no1 hotel in the Africa cotenant section within Tripadvisor) My sister is also getting married later this year and I have recommended this to her as a honeymoon destination. The way I would look at it is that this hotel offers a restaurant supervised by Michelin star Chefs - and it is included in the price - not even Gordon Ramsey has a Michelin star (I don't think!!)

I hope I have covered everything you wanted answered but if I haven't please get back to me.

Anything else just let me know.

S

London
3 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

Thanks loads for the reply. You've made my mind up for me!

Scotland UK
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: The Heritage Golf and Spa

Thanks Toronto Bluejay for all this valuable info, we are really looking forward to our hols not our honeymoon but a special birthday treat.

Have found the reviews very helpful and will definately post a review when we return. Sounds like a wonderful place and a great way to start off married life!!

Thanks

Johnhaze