We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New airport terminal?

Bolton, Lancs
Level Contributor
148 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
New airport terminal?

Read sometime ago the new build was delayed? Is this still the case or is the new building open yet?

Looking for views and comments on any of the lounges? Flying economy back to Dubai on the late night flight will the lounges still be open then?

Thanks in anticipation.

Andy

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New airport terminal?

Andy, as far as I know the build was delayed (as with most building operations) and it is not open yet. DE Bronia is going back to MRU within the next couple of weeks so I'm sure she will update us once she arrives.

Sorry, Bron, if I'm passing the buck!!! LOL :-))

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,742 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New airport terminal?

Depends when you are going.

I travelled back less than a week ago and no sign of the new airport building opening.

I've used the lounges and they are always open for the late night flights. Ok if you're flying business class and can go in the Amedee Maingard Lounge at no charge but I certainly wouldn't pay to go in there, not a patch on others I've used. Air Mauritius have their own lounge for business class passengers only. No idea what the arrangements will be for the new airport.

Quatres Bornes
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New airport terminal?

It was scheduled to open in May but construction works were delayed...the new terminal will be operational by September :)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,095 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New airport terminal?

I also heard from a friend this morning that its on schedule for September now - we'll see ;)

Quatres Bornes
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New airport terminal?

Its official now...it was announced by the PM in parliament yesterday! :)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,095 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New airport terminal?

Haha Kavi!

Fingers crossed ;)

Quatres Bornes
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New airport terminal?

The project was delayed due to additional costs and to the fact that a new plan has had to be drawn to accommodate a new control tower. The latter was not in the original plan. :-)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,095 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New airport terminal?

Only in Mauritius would they forget the new control tower ;)

Quatres Bornes
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New airport terminal?

Actually the new one is working fine but they are building for the future; to manage traffic for new aircrafts like the A380 or Dreamliner . A new aerobridge has already been installed for the A380.

The number of private jets coming to MRU is also on the rise, they would not want a billionaire investor or some celebrity crashing on the tarmac! :D

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,742 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New airport terminal?

I think we'll all believe the new airport terminal is open when we see it operational. 6 months delay sounds about right.