We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surf!

Bristol, United...
2 posts
Save Topic
Surf!

Can anyone assist with some surf advice please?We are going to Le Morne and Grande Gaube in September for our honeymoon. We want to surf..

I am struggling to get much solid advice or find much useful info on the surf scene. How local is it, or has a lot of that disappeared now? Ideally i need some mellow waves for my wife to be too, she is a little rusty, scared of sharks and big waves! Lefts preferred. Also, can i organise boats to get to the outer reefs? I dont fancy the long paddles on my own!

Any advice would be really appreciated! Thanks

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,211 posts
1,636 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surf!

Le Morne and Tamarin Bay is the area for surfing, wind surfing and kite surfing. Its very localised in these two areas but there are shops available where you can hire equipment. I did see some surf shops at Tamarin Bay in my recent visit and some kids surfing.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surf!

Mauritius isn't really a surfing destination - especially not for beginners as the best surf is beyond the reef and is quite big. When we stayed at Paradis on Le Morne peninsula we saw a couple of guys surfing outside the reef. They had been taken out by boat as it's too far to paddle. Chat to the concierge at your hotel and to the guys who run the boat house - they will be able to put you in contact with boat operators etc.

As Preston says, Tamarin Bay has historically been the best surf spot but over the years this has changed and it's no longer as good as it once was.

3. Re: Surf!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 July 2014, 06:20