We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon in Septemer

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon in Septemer

Hi All,

I will be going to Mauritius in Sep via Malaysia and w'd like to know couple of things. I am thinking of carrying Aussie dollars.

- Is it better to convert Aussie dollars to Mauritian Rupee at Malaysian airport or in Mauritius airport, where can I get good rate or carry US dollars to Mauritius.

- Any fee do they charge at Malaysian airport and also Mauritius aiport

- I am vegetarian, is there any cheap and good restaurants in east coast as I prefer to eat outside than eating at resort atleast lunch

- Is there any take away at Mauritius airport.

- How much does it cost to take a taxi or use a two wheeler there to roam around

Thanks in advance guys

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,939 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon in Septemer

Hi there - welcome to the Mauritius forum!

Change Australian Dollars to Mauritian Rupees in the arrivals hall at the airport. There are a number of bank counters all offering the same rate with no commission payable. Have a look at this site for exchange rates. Don't bother with US Dollars as they aren't accepted in MRU so you'd have to convert them anyway.

www.shibanifinance.com/pages/exchangerate.php

The east coast doesn't have any real tourist towns - most resorts are fairly isolated so eating out will mean that you have to travel to a local town. Price of taxis changes constantly with the fuel price increases so it's very difficult to give you accurate idea of costs as it will depend on how far you travel etc. All good hotels will have taxis allocated to them at their gates with the resort name on the door. It's worth chatting to one or two drivers to get an idea of how much they will charge for your proposed trip. They will usually factor in waiting time at your destination, too.

We hired a scooter last year and it cost us Rs900 for the day. Worth doing if you are confident on a bike. Make sure that you take your valid motorcycle licence with photo ID. International licence not required.

Regarding take away meals at the airport - are you referring to in arrivals or departures? The new terminal is due to be opened in September so unfortunately I don't know what will be on offer there. Have a look at the website for SSR International which will list all outlets available at the current terminal buildings.

Enjoy your holiday!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,505 posts
1,681 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon in Septemer

If you are going to stay on the east coast then I would want to go at least half board. You will get vegetarian food at the hotels. There might be some street food available by the beach side but the nearest town of Flaq is a short taxi ride away.

Change your currency in Mauritius at the arrival halls.

Sydney, Australia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon in Septemer

Hi DeeCapeTown and Preston, thanks for your comments, I am referring to both arrivals and departures. It w'd great to know the price of food eating outside and also at airport. I am planning to go to Center De Flaq the nearest place for lunch either by taxi or bike which is about 10 to 12km from east coast. I am also planning to buy heaps of water bottles from super-market, again i assume may be available in Flaq. Hope that there will we no rain in the month of Sep. Do they allow any outside food to carry inside Mauritius immigration or do they have any restrictions on food items such as Quarantine. Any requirements on declaring things what we carry.

Again thank you for your valuable comments.

4. Re: Honeymoon in Septemer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 05:18