We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

For anyone who fancies walking with lions

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,050 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
For anyone who fancies walking with lions

Please take a few minutes to read this - it also mentions Mauritius.

…africageographic.com/africa-geographic-blog…

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

Thanks for the article Bronia, it makes for interesting reading as do the comments. It's not something I particularly agree with, petting of wild animals in captivity.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

I think that walking with lions is an accident waiting to happen. Lions aren't domesticated pussy cats not matter how "tame" they appear.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,776 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

Thanks for posting the link to this interesting article Bronia.

I think we've always had our reservations about this "experience", as Dee says it's an accident waiting to happen and we know that there have been incidents, soon forgotten, but until a tourist is seriously mauled or worse it will continue. I was told that the lions are brought in from a zoo in South Africa and returned when they become too old for the attraction. It's a shame that it's promoted so much in Mauritius and on tourist information.

In my opinion Mauritius has plenty to offer without this circus.

uk
Level Contributor
2,686 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

I have never approved of these schemes,I don't even approve of zoo's unless there is a proper program of conservation. It is such a shame that these beautiful creatures are used to make a quick buck. and agree till someone is seriously hurt or killed it will only get worse.

Deb

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,050 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

Totally agree with Dee and Maz - the whole thing is an accident waiting to happen.

There have been at least two incidents in the past I've read about in the press - one involved a tourist who the organizers of the walk said was to blame for not following the rules and in a more recent incident one of the keepers was mauled in an unprovoked attack and spent some time in hospital.

The whole thing is just wrong.

OK, others might say we aren't all lucky enough to see these beautiful creatures in the wild (I have been on safari to SA Kenya and Zim/Zam several time) but this is not the way to do it!

Scotland
Level Contributor
1,416 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

My husband would absolutely LOVE to go on safari, I'm just a bit reticent about taking anti-malarials due to meds I take. We have looked into it a few times but haven't taken the plunge yet.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

There are places in South Africa which don't require malaria meds - might be worth looking into.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,050 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

Depends on time of year as well - I've visited Kruger twice self driving and stayed in SANPARKS accommodation and didn't need or take anti-malarials in the dry season - September.

We had a bad storm one night (scarey) and the power was off and I got one moz bite.

Rang the resident medic for advise re malaria and he assured me that no anopheles mozzies at that time of year so don't worry!

But there are also places that are completely malaria free as Dee says.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,776 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

We've been looking into going to South Africa and it wouldn't be complete without a safari.

I'd heard there were places to go on safari without malaria medication. We keep up to date with vaccinations, we had to have Yellow Fever earlier this year for a particular holiday and have these quite happily but there's something about malaria prophylaxis that puts a lot of us off.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: For anyone who fancies walking with lions

Agree with you, Maz, which is why I've never been to Mozambique or Zanzibar. Rather stick to Mauritius where there is no malaria danger.

We lived very close to Kruger Park for a year and I was quite nervous about it at first but was assured by my doctor that it was quite safe. Strangely enough, I've never been to Kruger despite my husband being involved with building some of the roads there. Still on the bucket list!