We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in mauritius

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Topic
Diving in mauritius

Hi

can someone advise me, driving in mauritius will it be the same like New Zealand?

Will there be alot of scenic route to see and is it easy to drive around?

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in mauritius

I think this is about driving! the main issues here are that they drive on the Left (same as UK) Cars are often old as there is a lot of tax on new ones, other than the motorways roads are narrow and often unlit. however as a result people drive safely are generally courteous drivers and are helpful. if renting make sure you have a good map or gps and Cdw - by the way diving is great too!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in mauritius

Driving in Mauritius can be a frustrating experience at times.

I disagree with the above poster - we have a lot of new cars here and especially 4x4's and most of the hire ones are fairly new - they have to be under a certain age legally for hire purposes.

Driving is on the left.

If you are going to rent make sure you get CDW and tax included and that you rent from a reputable local company or one of the big firms like Avis etc.

Always carry your driving licence and car rental documents at all times - this is a legal requirement and the police here have road blocks and can and do stop cars randomly for checks.

Speed limits are strictly enforced and speed cameras were introduced recently, as was the points system for motoring offences.

We have one motorway which runs north to south which is broken by the capital Port Louis which is a nightmare to drive through in peak times - ie early morning until 11am and from 3pm until after 6pm.

Not as bad as it was with the new flyover easing traffic a little.

Country and coastal roads are not busy and are OK for driving but you need a good map - GPS isn't widely used here and with all the recent road building not so useful anyway.

We live in Pereyebere half the year and have our own car and driving is haphazard and seems to be getting worse IME.

People are generally not as courteous and we often get cut up a few times a day - you really do need your wits about you here when driving. Cyclists and pedestrians are another hazard and be aware of taxis in front of you who stop without indicating, usually at bus stops to pick up a fare - this happens so many times on the road from Grand Baie to Pereybere and is a big bugbear of mine.

Buses will overtake you and drive fast - another bugbear.

You do get courteous and careful drivers but less so in Mauritius. We get more than our fair share of idiot drivers.

Petrol isn't cheap - same as the west.

But don't let me put you off - the best way to see the island is with your own car.

Get a good little guidebook like Globetrotters Guide to Mauritius which has an excellent pull out map and spend some time planning what you want to see and away you go!

I cant compare driving to New Zealand but Maz one of our DEs drove whilst on holiday there so will probably be better able to help you with that one!

Regards

Bronia :)

Singapore, Singapore
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in mauritius

Thank you guys for the useful helps. I will do more studies before heading over.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in mauritius

I endorse everything Bronia has said about driving in Mauritius, it's generally a good experience but you do need to have your wits about you as some of the locals have less than perfect driving skills. We always hire a car when we're there as it's certainly a good way to see the island at your own pace.

As for comparison with New Zealand, well for a start Mauritius is much smaller, there aren't the same mountain and lake drives and there's more traffic in some areas but you won't find any motorhomes clogging up the roads either and can see pretty much all the island in three or four days if you are organised..

Hope that helps

Mazza :-)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Diving in mauritius

Sorry forgot to add that we also use the Globetrotters map but car hire companies will provide you with some sort of map anyway. GPS systems are not generally used plus there are roadworks and diversions in some areas rendering them useless..

Edited: 19 August 2013, 15:27
Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Diving in mauritius

Mazza, hi how are you? Can you recommend a good car hire company? I saw one with good rates but because we will be staying in Trou de douce there was a big delivery charge as the car hire place was based elsewhere?

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
19,172 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Diving in mauritius

Hi Northumberland-lady, There are quite a few companies offering car hire, but few of us DE's and regulars on this forum have used one based up in Grand Baie who will deliver anywhere on the island for a small charge, even down to Flic en Flac, where we stay it's a modest amount.

http://www.gbccar.mu/index.php

We've been using them for years and recommend them highly, I would suggest you send them an email them asking for a quote to include full insurance and delivery.

Regards

Mazza :-)

Northumberland...
Level Contributor
2,466 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Diving in mauritius

Thanks Mazza - I will do that then.

West Midlands, UK
Level Contributor
1 post
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Diving in mauritius

Hi Mazza

We are hoping to go to Mauritius either September or October this year. Which month and coast would be best to visit. We are one diver and one snorkeller who prefers to snorkel from the beach in front of the hotel. I have read a few reviews which talk about it being windy. Also, do you know if there are likely to be jellyfish at this time of the year?

Thanks for your help

Hazel

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,228 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Diving in mauritius

Hazel can you please start your own thread - this one is about driving not diving despite the title :)