We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

Hi,

I'm planning to visit Mauritius for our Honeymoon in Jan 2014(2nd Week). We have been searching for different package tours and the we found a quite few good ones, but the hotels offered didn't seem exactly pleasing. All the agents gave a package for 6N/7D, with 3 days sight seeing that I'm assuming will be in a common bus/coach.

One such package Itinerary is as follows [resortroute.com]

Day 1 - Magical Entry

Airport pickup in a shared Vehicle. Enjoy the facility of the Hotel and be pampered and relaxed over the beaches.

Day 2 - Bollywood Love

Drive through the city Centre to reach “Caudan Waterfront” .You will be taken for a full day tour. Activity: Sightseeing Port Louis/Caudan waterfront/Jumbo Hyper Market

Day 3 - Dinner Cruise and Wildlife [Optional]

Pick from resort and will proceed to Caselea park in the morning have safari in the park and interaction with lion and cheetah. Then proceed for having an authentic luch from the resturant of your choice. Have a short sightseing and then will proceed in the evening to treat yourself and your loved ones with a 3 hour evening cruise along the clear waters of the Mauritius.Watch the ocean all around you and feast on a Mauritian luxurious fine dinning dinner. This will be a memorable night on board a unique luxurious motor-boat yacht.

Day 4 - Amor en la Isla

Trip to the beautiful Island Ile aux cerfs Island A speed boat will take you to an ideal place for sea lovers, which offers crystal clear water, fine golden sand and sparkling sunshine all fringed by “Filao” trees. Don’t forget to add the add-on package where you will be able to enjoy maximum water activities in a much cheaper price with full fun.

Day 5 - Catamaran cruise - Gabriel island & lunch, drinks [Optional]

Treat yourself to a memorable day, which will be one of the highlights of your holiday in Mauritius.The sailing time is around 1.5 hours before reaching Gabriel Island. The island is most famous for if its beautiful unspoiled beaches, with crystal clear water surrounding the entire island.

Day 6- Vow in Nature

Be ready to express your love in the natures wonders and don’t forget to click the splendid moments and surprising faces, Sightseeing to South Mauritius for Full day includes Curepipe, Floral, Volcano, GrandBassin, Gorges, Chamarel on SIC While you are back, it's time for you both to exchange the splendid moments on top the Candle light Dinner.

Day 7- Cheerio to Island with Sweet Memories

After breakfast check out from Hotel with sweet Memories and will be dropping at the Airport for Onward flight to live long with love. SIC from Hotel to Airport

The cost for this package per person without the optional including airfare is Rs.64k[1000USD/745 Euro/30.6K MUR].

The hotel for stay is Jalsa Beach Resort & Spa or an upgrade to La Plantation Resort & Spa for some more money.

I want to know will it turn out to be expensive if I book a trip on my own instead of going for packages?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

I can't comment on the price unfortunately but would guard against two things. Firstly Le Plantation resort has had lots bad reviews over the last couple of years. My travel agent stayed there and was very disappointed. Look at the amount of "terrible" reviews compared to other hotels in Mauritius.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g488101-d316734…

Secondly your itinerary is very full. Allow yourself a couple of days to relax and enjoy the facilities that your hotel has to offer instead of spending every day out and about.

We usually book a package that includes flights, transfers to hotel and hotel stay. We then organise our own sight seeing options according to what appeals to us once we are in Mauritius.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,056 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

How much would the air fare cost?

I think a package which just includes flight and hotel would be better and you can then take excursions as you fancy.

I would also look at more than these two hotels - as Dee says Plantation is still dire - I had been told it had improved but a cursory glance at the reviews just now shows its as bad as ever.

I looked round a few years ago and wasn't impressed - plus they refused to show me any rooms - not a good sign.

Jalsa is a good hotel which caters well for Indian guests but its in a rather isolated position on the north eatern tip of the island at Post Lafayette so difficult to get around, although there is a bus stop outside the hotel.

I looked around it when it first opened (a while ago now I admit) and quite liked the rooms and facilities.

For Jalsa reviews:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g1182893-d…

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

Thanks for the replies.

If I'm to choose other hotels, which one would you suggest? The range would be around Jalsa & Plantation prices.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

How is Le Mauricia Hotel? I guess its in the same range as Jalsa & Plantation right.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,127 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

I love Le Mauricia - have stayed there twice. IMO it's far superior to Jalsa or Plantation. If it is in a similar price bracket for you then I would recommend that you seriously consider it. Just be aware that it is situated in the village of Grand Baie so doesn't have a long romantic beach like some other hotels. The beach is nice but the bay is fairly busy with local boats. We loved watching the big catamarans coming and going so it didn't bother us at all. It is well situated if you want to go into town for shopping or to try the bars and restaurants.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

I wanted a hotel on the beach that would not be much crowded. Any other suggestions?

Northolt, United...
Level Contributor
58 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

Like others said, your plan looks packed full. You need to spend a couple of days in the hotel itself, most hotels have a lot of activities going around so you would never be bored.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

The whole package does indeed look packed but out of it Day 3[Dinner Cruise and Wildlife] & Day 5 [ Catamaran cruise - Gabriel island & lunch, drinks] are Optional activities.

I'm looking towards personalize the trip so its not packed. But first need to settle down on the hotel, though i liked Le Mauricia but since it was mentioned its quite busy with boats etc so was looking at other options.

How is Tamassa mauritius in Bel Ombre?

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
23 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

Anyone? Hows Tamassa Mauritius for a relaxing honeymoon, the reviews look good.

Level Contributor
3 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon Trip - Package or Plan on Your Own?

Based on reviews and advise from our travel agent ( Australia) we booked the Tamassa because it has a variety from relaxation to a bit of night time activities as we are a younger couple in our twenties. Not going until 2014 though so have not yet experienced it!