We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

london
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

Hi

Found these 4 options for roughly similar prices in nov. we are used to staying at 4/5 star hotels, but the better hotels are quite a lot more expensive, so was wondering if anyone could recommend which of these are better (or which to avoid!). The reviews I have read have been quite mixed. We would like a nice beach in the vicinity and also a good pool if possible. The room is also quite important to us, but we don't mind about the food or entertainment.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,354 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

Stayed at Intercontinental last year and Coin de Mire several times.

Check my reviews.

IC is 5* and Coin and Tropical 3* - Meridien is 4*.

Odd you get the same prices for these.

I like IC - it has two pools, one heated. Nice modern rooms and bathrooms. Beach is not really for swimming though as its rocky. Its a 20 minute drive from Grand Baie one way and Port Louis the other way.

No shops etc close by and no bus stop

Coin is a 10 minute drive from Grand Baie, is on a bus route and is a lovely small 3*.

Rooms are pretty basic but you can opt for the new wing too.

The beach is across the road however.

Meridien - needing a refurb unless you book into the adults only Nirvana wing.

Tropical is on the east coast and would be absolutely fine in November though not much to do outside, being on the east.

I think this one had a recent refurb and the rooms look nice.

Not sure but theres one 3* hotel with not much of a beach - I think it may be this one. If I am wrong am sure someone will correct me!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,620 posts
1,875 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

If you are getting the same prices for these hotels, I would shop around more. Try a few online agents such as Best@travel, netflights, destinology and more. I stayed at Le Meridian a few years ago and it needed a refurb then, although the Nirvana rooms are much better.

london
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

I have tried all of those - the best prices seem to be with BA - all of these are within £200 of each other (although some AI and some room only - but not so bothered about that, as don't really plan on eating there)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,354 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

I would imagine the AI options are with the 3* hotels and the RO option is with IC and maybe BB/HB Meridien?

AI and HB make a huge difference to prices.

You need at least BB or HB in Mauritius - food and drinks are expensive.

Three of the hotels you mention have nowhere close by to eat - unless you hire a car.

Edited: 08 September 2013, 22:30
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,620 posts
1,875 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

I would go at least HB or possible AI. I would not even consider the Room only options. By the time you factor in the cost of breakfast and evening meal, the price will rise drastically.

london
Level Contributor
228 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

Thanks for the info about food - didn't realise it was so expensive there. As my friend only eats kosher and brings all her own food, we usually go for RO or BB as there is only one person eating - but I suppose that would add up if nothing in the vicinity!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
21,620 posts
1,875 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

It might be worth contacting the hotels for meeting Kosher dietary needs. There is very small Jewish community in Mauritius, seems to in or around Curepipe so I reckon the hotels should be able to get access to the required dietary information.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,354 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

Even if she brought all her own food how would she prepare it or store it in a small hotel room?

Much better to rent an apartment but seems you want one of the four hotels you mentioned.

Try emailing whichever hotel you decide on.

Staffordshire...
Level Contributor
256 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

I stayed at Tropical before its refurb, 2 years ago. It was a nice small hotel, the pool behind the restaurant so no view of the sea. The beach is not good, very narrow, but a short walk to the left of the hotel brings you to a great beach. The town is about a mile away in the other direction, places to eat here.

Gill

10. Re: Coin de mire/ tropical attitude/meridien /intercontinental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 05:18