I am incredibly laid back and rarely complain but this is not a place I am enjoying.
1. Snacks and drinks at bar took 30 minutes to arrive. The waiter didn't even clean the table and remove the previous guest's plates until after he served us.
2. Rooms have a very 90's feel to them. Even the $100 a night hotel in the South Africa JNB airport looked nicer.
3. Restaurants are all booked for today and tomorrow. That's almost half our stay. When one gets an all inclusive one imagines that they get these restaurants. I even emailed prior to arriving to book restaurants and didn't get a reply - finally told upon arrival that I can't book in advance.
4. Beaches are terrible. The lagoon areas are very shallow (up to your knees), incredibly rocky, it's man made so you feel the concrete under the compacted sand, and it is incredibly packed. We were instructed to avoid the ocean side by staff because it's unsafe but I think that the real reason is they don't want guests to realize the nice beach is actually a public park.
5. Aside from the large numbers of little kids running around on the beach, you have locals trying to sell you shell necklaces.
6. Someone here said you don't hear planes. Whoever said that, I beg to disagree. The taxi driver even laughed when I asked if it was noisy. It is EXTREMELY loud and it's also very visible. Huge planes fly over you. In fact from the main beach you get a direct view of the airport and see the planes moving on the ground.
7. I have been to all inclusive resorts where I felt people made an effort to provide. Here they provide a minimum and then let you know that you can upgrade for better. For example the honeymoon package includes a free massage but when you go to book they tell you it's for 45 minutes, only back and neck and unscented so if you want a real massage you need to pay more. You get free drinks but not past 11 unless you pay. You get free food but not with room service so basically you rely on restaurants that are fully booked, slow and limited service at the bar table or mediocre buffet food.
What can I do? This is my honeymoon. Our small and simple bed and breakfast in Cape Town and our safari in Kruger were amazing. This is a huge let down. Can we get a refund and move to another hotel?