We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

I am incredibly laid back and rarely complain but this is not a place I am enjoying.

1. Snacks and drinks at bar took 30 minutes to arrive. The waiter didn't even clean the table and remove the previous guest's plates until after he served us.

2. Rooms have a very 90's feel to them. Even the $100 a night hotel in the South Africa JNB airport looked nicer.

3. Restaurants are all booked for today and tomorrow. That's almost half our stay. When one gets an all inclusive one imagines that they get these restaurants. I even emailed prior to arriving to book restaurants and didn't get a reply - finally told upon arrival that I can't book in advance.

4. Beaches are terrible. The lagoon areas are very shallow (up to your knees), incredibly rocky, it's man made so you feel the concrete under the compacted sand, and it is incredibly packed. We were instructed to avoid the ocean side by staff because it's unsafe but I think that the real reason is they don't want guests to realize the nice beach is actually a public park.

5. Aside from the large numbers of little kids running around on the beach, you have locals trying to sell you shell necklaces.

6. Someone here said you don't hear planes. Whoever said that, I beg to disagree. The taxi driver even laughed when I asked if it was noisy. It is EXTREMELY loud and it's also very visible. Huge planes fly over you. In fact from the main beach you get a direct view of the airport and see the planes moving on the ground.

7. I have been to all inclusive resorts where I felt people made an effort to provide. Here they provide a minimum and then let you know that you can upgrade for better. For example the honeymoon package includes a free massage but when you go to book they tell you it's for 45 minutes, only back and neck and unscented so if you want a real massage you need to pay more. You get free drinks but not past 11 unless you pay. You get free food but not with room service so basically you rely on restaurants that are fully booked, slow and limited service at the bar table or mediocre buffet food.

What can I do? This is my honeymoon. Our small and simple bed and breakfast in Cape Town and our safari in Kruger were amazing. This is a huge let down. Can we get a refund and move to another hotel?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

Well Bill, I've stayed at Kruger several times now, Cape Town and Shandrani and loved them all.

We stayed in a refurbed deluxe last year and had absolutely no problems with any aspect of Shandrani at all - in fact I found it one of the best hotels in Mauritus and their AI included all premium brand names including Jack Daniesl and champagne which most AIs in Mauritius don't include.

All AIs stop at 11pm - worldwide as far as I know.

As for plane noise sorry it didt bother me at all and I'm hypersensitive to noise - its not exactly JFK or LHR.

I even wear ear plugs at night in the UK and never had a problem in Shandrani, or at Blue Bay when I stayed in a friends villa.

OK the new airport is now operational, but they are using exactly the same runway as before - its just the terminal buildings that are new and no extra flights are proposed until December for the Christmas rush.

The last flight out is around 11.20pm and the first inbound is around 6am and there are planes in the day but they arent usually a problem - sorry if you have an issue.

Shandrani has 3 beaches to choose from and I really cant see where you are coming from here?

Blue Bay is a national marine park.

What can you do?

Complain to the manager? Management at Shandrani are very hands on and visible and very efficient - as are all the staff IME.

Complain to your Travel rep and move hotels?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

If they are prepared to move you have a look at the following hotels in the Beachcomber group - Paradis, Dinarobin and Trou aux Biches. However, none of them offer the same AI package as Shandrani so you'd have to compromise on that score. I'm really surprised that you dislike Shandrani so much when it gets such great reviews.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,857 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

So you want your money back, why then don't you just say so rather than going through these imaginary whinges.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

As Dee said talk to Beachcomber but none of their 5* are AI even Royal Palm the flagship in Grand Baie.

Just checked the reviews to see if you are talking about the same hotel we know:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g488102-d4…

I doubt you would get a refund and offers of alternative accomodation.

Incidentally, in a post you made on this forum when deciding on which resort to choose you said you were not big drinkers, so we are wondering why the 11pm deadline of the AI seems to important to you now?

The mini bar is not too badly stocked in comparison to other AIs - its stocked to personal preference - you order what you want every day by phone, so you could use that?

I am not trying to be picky here - just making some general observations and I do hope you get sorted eventually Bill.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
30 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

I'm not a big drinker. I pointed it out not because I want to get blitzed all night long but because at every point they seem to remind you that there are limits. Every AI (admittedly not many) I have stayed at in the Caribbean and Mexico didn't limit what you drank by hour. They also didn't have a mini bar with nothing in it requiring room service to stock with what you want in an effort to limit consumption costs. At the Royal in playa del Carmen you practically had a full bar in your room.

If I am paying for AI but with lots of limits, not getting access to the restaurants, and having terrible service at the "bar" then is that really worth it? If I had known I would have simply done any other hotel and paid per restaurant.

And to prove I'm not crazy about the planes I will record a video with sound for you. I'm not trying to be a bother but this is a real shock and I hope you understand why I might be disappointed. I'm not insulting your judgement, but saying this is not for me and clearly others who didn't give it amazing reviews. The safari at kirkmans was heaven compared to this. I will try and find a manager I suppose. I hadn't thought to ask for another beachcomber resort: which of the ones you listed has the best beach and is quietest?

As for the person who wrote the nonsense about me being coy about a refund: somehow you understood I wanted to cancel my remaining days and move to another hotel and not pay for days I am not here. Well I will let you reconcile that fact with your passive statements.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

Are you saying you havent even asked to see management to complain?

That would be my first port of call.

As for the mini bar - day one it is stocked and then you order the items you want on a daily basis by phoning your order in which is I think a good method as you get exactly what you want.

Most mini bars here only include very little and usually only soft drinks and some not even water but Shandrani has options for you to choose wine and beer.

As for other Beachcomber resorts as I said most 5* are BB or HB and not AI. Drinks here are expensive - £35-40 for a bottle of wine and £10 for a cocktail so I would think carefully about this one.

Also you are here for only 4 days and not sure how long you have already been here so is it worth it to move?

Hope you get sorted - and BTW no need for the video.

Marple, United...
Level Contributor
192 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

Hi

I think to complain like this on Trip Advisor is not nice especilally for every one who is due to go there soon . You go to management to complain not trip advisor .

Ive off there in 3 weeks for my wedding . So i will let everyone know how it was, ive never read a review as bad as this about the Shandrani and dont think its nice

Clare

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,785 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

Don't worry Clare, I'm sure you'll find Shandrani is fantastic as most reviewers will say.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,048 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

Claire please don't worry!

Looking forward to hearing all about your wedding soon - I know how much you've been looking forward to it and I'm certain everything will be absolutely fabulous for your big day

I love Shandrani as do a lot of people judging by the reviews and repeat guests.

3 weeks will fly by!

Best Wishes

Bronia :-)

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,805 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Shandrani is terrible - what can I do?

Hear hear, Bronia!!! Clare - the vast majority of reviewers can't be wrong so don't fret about it. Family of mine stayed at Shandrani a while ago for special birthday celebrations and they adored it!!! Would return tomorrow if they could.

Best of luck for your wedding and have a wonderful honeymoon, too.

Regards

Dee