We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Advice in the Mauritius

London, United...
1 post
Save Topic
Honeymoon Advice in the Mauritius

Hi there,

We are considering The Mauritius for our honeymoon in October next year, as it is one of the only places in the world with good weather (i know.. crazy!). There;s a few concerns we have at the moment and was hoping anyone can help me?

1. Although we are obviously staying in a nice resort, both my fiance and I are travelers/backpackers at heart and we love to explore. We are concerned that at night we will be a bit stuck for things to do. I don't really want to be stuck in the resort every night for 10 days! What are the Mauritius like at night? Is it safe? Can we take a taxi and go try some local food and have a drink in a bar or maybe wonder in a night market?

2. What's the best area in the Mauritis to stay? I had a look and the north seems to be warmer than the south on October. Any ideas?

I think that's it really... our main concerns! :)

Thank you!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,409 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Advice in the Mauritius

Hi and welcome to the Mauritius forum. If you enjoy being able to get out and about I would suggest that you base yourself in the north west near Grand Baie and Port Louis or in the west near Flic en Flac. That way you can easily get a taxi to the nearest town and explore what is on offer by way of restaurants, pubs etc.

You could even base yourselves at one of the hotels in Grand Baie which are within walking distance of the town. We've stayed at Le Mauricia which is 5 minutes walk from the center of town. Another hotel in this area is the Merville Beach.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,591 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Advice in the Mauritius

As Dee says look at the north, north west or west to be close to tourist orientated towns like Grand Baie or Flic en Fac.

I'm currently in the north and this October has been gorgeous weather.

There are no night markets in Mauritius.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,364 posts
1,844 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Advice in the Mauritius

Just be aware Mauritius is still a place with the 9-5 scene where shops and work closes by about 5 to 6 pm.

So evening tend to be quiet, so it makes good sense to be in and around Grand baie where they have bars, restaurants but it will never be London type lively.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,591 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Advice in the Mauritius

Supermarkets and some stores at La Croisette and Bagatelle dont close at 5pm - more like 8 - 9pm.

Lots of event go on at the Malls after 5pm - concerts and entertainment of various kinds.

5. Re: Honeymoon Advice in the Mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2014, 05:18