We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need help in selecting a resort

Pune, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Need help in selecting a resort

Hi All,

Firstly I must say that the destination experts are doing a fantastic job and have added such a vast amount of info on the forums. Being a complete newbie a day before I know a bit on Mauritius and based on various reviews and comments shortlisted some resorts.

I am still not that much confident on the location and nearby area so need advice in selecting the resort I will be booking to celebrate my 5th wedding anniversary.

My requirements:

1. A week's stay in Feb 2014

2. Availability of good vegetarian food

3. Should be on sea side with a good beach

4. Basic watersports as we dont know swimming

5. Best value for money for what I am spending

6. I would like to do some excursions on 2 or 3 days and relax in resort on remaining days

I have shortlisted following in decreasing order of budget:

1. LUX Belle Mare : Most expensive

2. LUX Grand Gaube

3. Le Meredian

4. Hilton

5. Tamassa

6. Centara Post Lafayette

7. Intercontinental : Least expensive

Can you all be kind enough to help me decide the best for my requirements. Also if there is any other better option in this range missed by me, please recommend.

Thanks in advance

Tarun

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
150 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

Of your list the LUX Belle Mare is by far the best resort. Also have a look at Constance Belle Mare Plage, from Switzerland those to come in at about the same price. Don't know about GB though.

I would also consider The Sands Resort and Shandrani (may be a bit more expensive but All Inclusive not sure about the vegetarian options but someone else may chip in here).

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

Which hotels have you stayed in Heise?

Pune, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

Thanks for your replies.. I will check out the The Sands Resort and Shandrani ... if they are in similar range in packages offered from here !

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,045 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

All the hotels you mentioned are by the sea, beaches differing in quality however. Watersports available widely and from all it's possible to have a couple of days out and see a lot of Mauritius.

There's a big difference in costs between The Sands and Shandrani as well as location and services offered. Do you want AI for instance? From your original list I would pick Lux Belle Mare.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

Thanks Mazza...

Sands & Shandrani are getting more costlier than my budget so I am passing them... more inclined towards Belle Mare in line with all the posts above so far..

AI is nice to have but I am not sure if I will do justice to the extra cost as we are not very heavy drinkers... so final decision will be based on cost difference if we have to go AI.. but I dont want shift to an AI only resort for that matter !

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

I've stayed at both Sands and Shandrani (as well as quite a few others on your list and visited others) and loved them both, but if you want a very good AI option then Shandrani.

Belle Mare Plage is also a great resort - loved that too.

I have some reviews on these if you check my profile.

Shandrani will be much more prices than Sands because of the premium AI that Shandrani offers.

Be sure to book a refurbed deluxe room if you do opt for Shandrani

Ahh sorry - crossed posts.

Then either Belle Mare Plage or Lux Belle Mare. I havent stayed at the latter but have the former.

Edited: 29 October 2013, 09:06
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

Belle Mare has one of the best beaches in Mauritius - voted in the top 10 beast beaches for Africa in recent years. :)

Pune, India
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

A friend just confused me by warning that if I am not going all Inclusive then I will end up with a huge bill for extras (Lunch, few drinks per day, watersports etc).

Is it true? Should I really go AI or go ahead as originally planned?

Tamassa is offering cheapest rate in AI, is it good ? Shall I select that?

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
150 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

I think the cost for lunch and drinks are about the same as in London. But I'm sure a destination expert can give you some more information.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
37,515 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need help in selecting a resort

A bottle of wine in a 5* resort will cost between £35-40 and a cocktail around £9-10.

Hence why some people choose AI.

Tamassa is south at Bel Ombre - pretty isolated but very scenic area. I don't know the hotel as I havent visited it but its relatively new as are all the hotels south at Bel Ombre.

I think Mazza has visited it so she would be better placed to give advice on it.

Look at its reviews.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g612353-d7…

Not sure about how good its beach is though.

Lux Belle Mare do AI packages.