We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
169 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

Hi everyone ..... Still can't decide so need some help please and you guys are brill.... Have helped so much with previous holidays.......

We are looking at travelling to Mauritius in September next year. We are 4 adults.

We are looking at the shandrani or one of the Lux hotels. We would like to snorkel off the beach, visit casella and a couple of other days out, preferably not driving ourselves.

We like the look of the lux hotels... Bright fresh, fab beaches etc but I believe the snorkelling is better at shandrani ? A couple of the posts have been a little negative regarding this hotel which concerns me a little (eg 3 star at best..... Old rooms' concrete beaches covered with sand etc)? Can anyone help? I fully understand that occasionally some people have alternative views and I am careful to understand what puts the off may not be an issue for us, but I wouldn't want and old room etc. We are taking our daughter and partner for the first time to an exotic location and want them to experience wonderful things we have during our travels.

Snorkelling is important to us but so is a good hotel with great food.

Look forward to your help as always.

Many thanks

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

May I suggest you also look at Trou aux Biches Resort.

Note: I have not stayed there yet but from researching back and forth it seems to be a very nice property with modern rooms (Hotel only 3 years old) amazing pools, very nice beach, many dining options and good snorkeling. Also the weather seems to be nicer on this side of the island.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,026 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

Heise, Trou aux Biches is actually amongst the oldest hotels on the island - it was around in the 70s but it was razed to the ground several years ago and completely rebuilt, minus the golf course.

It only reopened fully last year - I visited it shortly after it did and loved it. Great accomodation, good beach and fabulous staff, and it has to have what's the best kid's club on the island.

I'm sure you'll have a good time when you get to visit it next year.

One thing for the OP to note is that its doesnt offer AI just FB option which includes lunch and drinks with meals, so if you want AI and a good one which includes premium brand drinks and champagne then Shandrani is the one.

As for the bad review - the same guy posted on this forum when he was at Shandrani that he hated it and what could he do? We all offered advice , the logical one being go see management with your complaints and sort it our but judging from his extremely negative review he chose not to bother trying to resolve his many problems and we never heard back from him. TBH I can refute each one but I cant be bothered.

Suffice to say the 3 beaches at Shandrani are not man made as he says 2 are - also the hotel is in the National Marine Park so snorkelling is excellent at Blue Bay,

The thread - and I suggest you read it - is here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/…53586755

Judge for yourself. Theres a reason Shandrani has so many repeat guests.

I loved Shandrani - it had what was perhaps the best management and staff of any hotel I've stayed at in Mauritius - we had a a lovely room, a deluxe refurbed room, and its one of my all time favourites.

I did a review with photos but cant click on to it - looks like TA have messed up the contributions in their new

updates or whatever, but if you look for mine is November 2012 - and TA miscaptioned the photos so its quite a giggle.

I am going to stop here as my computer is playing up and TA and I already lost my first reply so wont risk checking for typos even so apologies if any!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,026 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

OK reviews seemto have sorted themseves - must have been a temporary TA glitch:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g488102-d4…

As I said ignore the captions - TA mislabelled them!

Edited: 31 October 2013, 15:10
Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

@bronia I did know that TAB is one of the oldest Hotels on the Island. However due to the fact that it was completely torn down I would consider it a "new" Hotel.

If AI is what the OP is looking for I would go for Shandrani. The other AI packages seem really bad value to me. It's at best an AI light due to the fact that they do not include premium brand spirits or wine. So Full Board imo would be a better description even though they sell it as AI.

Edit: make sure you get a refurbished room at Shandrani.

Edited: 31 October 2013, 16:36
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
38,026 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

Sorry Heise but no its the same TAB with the same staff.

The accomodation is much improved but still the same old favourite TAB.

When they demolished it we old timers were all determined to hate it when it reopened, but it quickly won me over that afternoon.

It was one of the first hotels on the island mid 70's along with Casuarina, Merville, La Pirogue, Tamain, Paradise and Dinarobin, St Geran and Shandrani (but then Shandrani then had another name)

Three other hotels that offer premium AI are Maritim and the two Heritage - Awali and Le Telfair.

It will be interesting to see your review of TAB and your first impressions of Mauritius when you visit here in 2014. :)

Zurich, Switzerland
Level Contributor
150 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

Point taken. I looked at it from the stand point that all the facilities are still fairly new. Unlike let's say Shandrani or Lux Belle Mare where some rooms are still not refurbished.

But let's not confuse the OP with all the talk about TAB. I just wanted him to have some more options to look at since there seem to be so many great hotels in Mauritius.

Let's hope TAB will not be the first beach hotel not meeting my expectations.

London
Level Contributor
534 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

If it is their first time to an exotic location they won't be anything but utterly impressed by the Shandrani

I have been to the Maldives and another Mauritian resort since my last visit but am returning again next year for my 3rd visit as for me it provides great, guaranteed value in a truly beautiful setting

As Bronia has said, a lot of what that reviewer has said is plainly false, none of the beaches are man made, or even close to being so

I'm not sure exactly what that reviewer was looking for, if it was constant, fawning service and pampering, instant service and flash rooms with the latest mid cons, he wouldn't have found it at the Shandrani.

If you want that you do need to go to the likes of the One and Only, Oberoi or 4 seasons. You'll also have to pay over twice as much for the experience! Something that reviewer seems to have overlooked, he seems to have expected the world, yet didn't even opt to pay for one of the larger Deluxe rooms.

If you're looking for a beautiful, laid back, relaxing resort with great food, drink, good snorkeling from the beach and a raft of other things to do, for a decent price, without expecting a room like a Bellagio suite or 1 to 1 service, it's hard to imagine how you can go wrong

If the budget stretches I would go for a Deluxe room, they are bigger, all recently refurbed and better located than the standard rooms

If you can only afford a standard, make sure you stay as far to the right of the resort (as you look at the beach from reception) as you can

Barbados
Level Contributor
35 posts
277 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

I have just come back from Shandrani and have nothing but positive things to say about it - it was fabulous.

10 mins from airport, great food and staff, pitch put golf - but the best thing that I was aware of is that it's set in a secluded bay 'the blue bay' so has loads of natural coral on its door step. The very first day we were there we did the hotel glass bottom boat tour (free twice daily) plus snorkelling.

If you like snorkelling I'd say the shandrani might be for you - check out photos / info on the blue bay.

norfolk, england
Level Contributor
169 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

Hi everyone.....

Thank you so much for your replies. I really Appreciate you taking the time to help me. Still not finally made our minds up, bur your advice is really welcomed, thank you again.

10. Re: Shandrani or one of the lux hotels. Still confused

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2014, 05:19