I am an Indian national living in India at this moment. More than 5 years ago when I was living in USA, I had an incident with local law authority there due to which I had received third-degree (lowest level in severity) felony conviction and my name was placed in USA's Sexual Offender Registry. Subsequently I had returned to India and I am living in India ever since. I want to travel to Mauritius for holidays (with my wife, for a period of 1 week) and I want to know whether I would be allowed in Mauritius or denied entry due to my name appearing in USA's sexual offender registry.
I would like you to consider few points:
1. I will be traveling from India carrying Indian passport.
2. Indian nationals do not require Visa for Mauritius. Only passport is sufficient. I have heard that Immigration Authority generally stamp the passport and scan it to keep record of people entering the country.
3. I mistakenly lost my passport after returning to India, and a new Passport has been issued in my name after lost passport inquiry. Hence, my passport does not have a stamp indicating that I have been to USA and passport number is completely different from my old passport which I used when in USA.
4. It was a non-violent crime and I did not receive any prison sentence. Third degree felony is lowest level of felony. It was not a rape or kidnapping or any such offense. Sexual offender registry itself mentions my crime as 'Other Crime', and shows my location as my USA address where I was living at that time. No passport detail is mentioned in registry.
5. I have finished all legal requirements pertaining to my case in USA. I am not wanted anywhere in world by any legal authority. Hence, there is no case or warrant on me from USA or Interpol or whatever.
I would like to know whether I would be allowed entry in Mauritius or denied entry due to my past conviction in USA or my name appearing in USA's Sexual Offender Registry. Do they perform such thorough background check inside another country's (USA's, in my case) database for an Indian national like me who is coming from India? I believe there is no way from them to learn which countries I have been to earlier as my earlier passport is lost and replaced by a new Passport. As mentioned earlier, Visa is not required for Indian National in Mauritius. Moreover, even if they come to know about my past conviction in USA more than 5 years ago, will they refuse my entry into Mauritius as a tourist (with wife) or they will allow me for limited stay (1 week) as a tourist?
I will deeply appreciate some light and clarity in this matter. I tried looking for it online but I could not find any helpful responses. I want to book my holidays at the earliest basis your replies in this matter. Hence, your guidance will be highly appreciated.