We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Plan - and the gaps

Pune, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
The Plan - and the gaps

Before everything, thanks in advance for the time taken to read/respond.

I am travelling with family (and extended family with 5 yr olds) to Mauritius next week. Staying at a resort on Trou Aux Biches. A confession: Mauritius is much more than the usual beaches they talk about everywhere. My research list is growing and growing with places to visit, but of course, they keep getting removed for want of time.

I have the usual 3 day trips - North, South & Ile Aux Cerfs. Apart from this i have an entire day + 05. day before i fly back. Now the gaps

1) In Ile Aux Cerfs, i read that water sports are offered as a "package" i.e. undersea, parasailing, waterfall & tubing. What is a reasonable rate for this package? I have 60 yrs olds + 5 yrs olds (and us - the entire spectrum!). Is it possible to choose specific water activities and not the entire package?

2) on the full spare day, i plan to do a road. Proposed plan --> https://goo.gl/maps/76eFQ . First, a visit to Casela , hoping to finish it off by 3 pm (will it be possible?) and then continue on the road-trip. I need help with advice for a rental car. There are simply too many options.

3) on my final day, i planned to go for the dolwim option. Any comments on this? Again, this is dependent on the car rental availability as this place is over a hr away from Trou Aux biches.

3) Any suggestions for the "christmas" experience on 25th i.e. decorated churches, festivities on the road near-to Trou Aux biches or maybe Port Louis? Is it ok to take a bus to Port Louis for viewing this?

thanks again for reading.

Rajaram.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

Re your 3rd point see this:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293817-i10637-k…

La Croisette and Super U have some events at Christmas too so tae a bus there.

translate.google.co.uk/translate…

http://www.gblc.mu/index.php/en/news/events

There are church services at Grand Baie but not advisable to attend Midnight Mass here.

www.thecatholicdirectory.com/directory.cfm…

dioceseportlouis.org/2013/…more-4812

Ask your hotel concierge for details.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

I would advise against booking up every day of your holiday specially as you have small children with you. It is good to spend some time at your resort relaxing and enjoying the facilities on offer.

Regarding car hire we use Ebrahim at Grand Bay Contract Cars who offers excellent service at reasonable rates.

http://www.ebrahimtours.mu/rental-of/car/

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
164 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

Hi Rajaram,

I visited Mauritius December 15 2013. My opinion will be like below

1. You can take a package of Catamaran trip to Gabriel island.Then you can get a free snorkeling with this trip.

2.You can take a package for Ile Aux Curf, Then you can find their so many water sports. Coz after going there you have nothing to do, but that trip will be nice trip

3.Then you took a taxi for going south side of the country. It will take 2500 MRU for 9am to 6pm

4.Same like number 3 for going north

5.you can go to the goodlands and Port louis for shopping

6.Grand baie Bazar will be cheaper one for shopping

7. You can take another taxi trip for covering the rest of the country

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
164 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

Hi Rajaram,

I visited Mauritius December 15 2013. My opinion will be like below

1. You can take a package of Catamaran trip to Gabriel island.Then you can get a free snorkeling with this trip.

2.You can take a package for Ile Aux Curf, Then you can find their so many water sports. Coz after going there you have nothing to do, but that trip will be nice trip

3.Then you took a taxi for going south side of the country. It will take 2500 MRU for 9am to 6pm

4.Same like number 3 for going north

5.you can go to the goodlands and Port louis for shopping

6.Grand baie Bazar will be cheaper one for shopping

7. You can take another taxi trip for covering the rest of the country

Pune, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

thanks all for the replies.

- I already have Ile Aux Cerf in the package and the plan is fr water sports there.

DeeCapeTown, absolutely agree with you. Not planning to fill every gap :-) The kids and the elders will demand relaxation time.,

Ebrahim car tours was recommended on many posts too. I had written to them, but no reply yet. Will try to call today.

Will check out time for Grand Baie Bazaar.

Checking out the Port Louis waterfront for christmas activities.

Thanks again to all for responding.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
28 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

one small question: I saqw on few posts that ebrahimtours and http://www.gbccar.mu/ are the same, is it?

The reason is that i didnt get a reply from ebrahim tours, but got a positive reply from http://www.gbccar.mu/.

Since many have recommended this, i wish to go for this person/agency. But just need a confirmation that it is the same.

thx in advance.

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
164 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

I used taximauritius. Service was excellent...

Dhaka City...
Level Contributor
164 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

I used taximauritius. Service was excellent...

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,040 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

Yes, Ebrahim and Grand Bay Contract Cars are the same company.

10. Re: The Plan - and the gaps

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 December 2014, 06:18