We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Major change to Mauritian air access

Taunton, United...
Level Contributor
88 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Major change to Mauritian air access

Someone has pointed me in the direction of a blog from which I copy some information regarding changes to some Air Mauritius flights as follows:

Air Mauritius and Emirates have tied up a ten year Commercial Cooperation Agreement.

The deal works like this:

For ten years, Emirates will fly on behalf of Air Mauritius to Dubai. The service will start with two flights a day.

What this means is that virtually anyone anywhere can get to Mauritius via Dubai, and vice versa. We will be able to fly to New York with one check in, and in less time. This is brilliant news for many future tourists. Getting to Mauritius is now as easy as getting to Dubai. This is a very big thing and could help rescue our tourist industry.

It's not all good news, however. The direct Air Mauritius flight between Heathrow and Mauritius is dead. Air Mauritius has traded these slots with Emirates as part of the deal, I hear.

I do not know how true it is that direct flights from Heathrow to Mauritius will no longer apply but worth watching to see what transpires

Belle Mare Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Taxi a Maurice
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, Swim with Dolphins
Safari Adventures Lion Encounter
Nature & Wildlife Areas, Sightseeing Tours
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,835 posts
1,914 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

I have been going to Mauritius via Dubai for years. As I fly from Manchester, Air Mauritius never came to the equation, although does this mean no AM code share with Air France?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

Me too - flying EK to MRU via Dubai for ages now?

I think of more interest is the Thomson flight on the Dreamliner which starts next year.

Thats a first for Mauritius and the UK - to finally allow a charter flight from the UK.

Also I think EK and MK have codeshared some flights for a while, or am I hearing things when the cabin crew say "Welcome abroad this EK flight with our partners MK?"

Edited: 20 December 2013, 15:20
England, United...
Level Contributor
180 posts
239 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

Hi prestonguild, we are flying next July from manchester via paris with air france and then air mauritius run by air france so I hope your comment on their collaboration wan't affect our holiday booking. Can you clarify please

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

So will there no longer be any direct flights LHR-MRU? If so then MK will have lost perhaps what was their main plus factor vs their competitors.

Jongle I've flown MK/AF codeshares via CDG to MRU a lot in the past - not heard that they will be discontinuing this - check with AF?

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,835 posts
1,914 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

My return flight was with Air France but it code shared with Air Mauritius which meant passengers booked with AM were also on our flight but it was an Air France plane. From Paris we had the shuttle that flew us to Manchester.

If there are any issues I suggest you contact your travel agent for updated details.

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

We are booked next August direct flight with AM from Heathrow to Mauritius - is this now under threat ?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

It sounds like it - did you book a direct flight?

Seems like LHR-MRU will be via DXB using EK metal not MK.

(note that the code for Air Mauritius is MK not AM which everyone confuses)

I would contact MK office in the UK by phone and ask them to clarify:

http://www.airmauritius.com/contactus_gb.htm

London, United...
Level Contributor
125 posts
238 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

Hi there,

yes we are booked on a direct flight with Air Mauritius from Heathrow on the overnight flight on the 1st of August 2014. We and the flight are still shown on their website so it appears that we are still on it - however we will now be checking with the airline...

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
41,993 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

As I said on the other thread dont take notice of the website - you have to phone them.

Airlines are chopping and changing routes and timings all the time without notifying pax.

EK does it all the time and its up to you to make sure your flight hasnt changed.

Carmarthen Wales
Destination Expert
for Carmarthenshire, Ceredigion, Pembrokeshire
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Major change to Mauritian air access

I like flying MK, so if they do pull it, then maybe I will go somewhere else,who knows???