We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

Lincolnshire UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

We are well travelled and love nothing more than challenging hiking adventures whilst on holiday. [to name but a few we have climbed Agung in Bali, Mount Chiripo in Costa Rica & Kinabalu in Borneo,].

We have booked a holiday in April 2014.

We would be grateful if you could recommend suitably challenging hiking/trekking together with the contact details of reputable English speaking guides.

Does Mauritius offer any other 'adventures' for example white water rafting, abseiling[zip lies or rip cording] and canyoning [ie abseiling down waterfalls]?...could you recommend suitable tour companies that offer these excursions?

Very Many thanks

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

There are many companies that offer adventure sports in Mauritius. I just did a quick search and came up with the following, amongst others.

mauritius-rodrigues.com/mauritius/sports_adv…

extremesportscafe.com/brochure/content/skydi…

mauritius-guide.net/kayaking-throug-the-mang…

There are a number of good climbing areas in Mauritius, too. However, I don't have contact details for guides that I can personally recommend but you could start with this site.

http://www.verticalworldltd.com/index.php

Hopefully someone with first hand experience will post with more details.

Regards

Dee

N.Ireland
Level Contributor
94 posts
166 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

My boyfriend and I are similarly minded to yourselves, OP, and are planning a 2 week trip in May. We are keen cyclists - we did a 3 week cycling trip through Vietnam last year, and have already been looking at cycle hire for Mauritius. We are not 'lay around on the beach all day' types and would be looking at similar things to you. So far I have found this - it may be of interest to you also :)

http://www.caselayemen.mu/hiking.php

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,581 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

Also check out the expats blog - sometimes posts about climbing and hiking on there.

www.expat-blog.com/forum/viewforum.php?id=108

Dee is vertical world still in operation?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,581 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

Old thread re Vertical World but OP may find the thread interesting for recommendations:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g293816-i9265-k6…

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,404 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

Hi Bronia

No idea if they are still operational - just found their website. Thanks for posting the link to the old thread which I'd forgotten about. One would hope that if they have gone out of business they would take their site down but maybe not! Pity if this is the case as their site looks very good.

Dee

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,361 posts
1,841 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

Eco adventures are a growing sport in Mauritius such as hiking, quad biking. There are some hoc hiking activities in the south east of the island. The downside is that it can be expensive with the dual charging policy.

Lincolnshire UK
Level Contributor
46 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

Good Afternoon All

This is amazing ...we are very grateful for all the kind replies....I would be grateful if someone could explain what the definition of a 'dual charging policy' refers to?

Thanking you

Kindest Regards

C

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
40,581 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

I think what Preston means is one charge for residents and another for tourists?

Someone asked about that recently on another thread re restaurants.

There is dual pricing with attractions yes.

This is not unique to Mauritius.

When I visited the Taj Mahal a few years ago now I was charged more for admission than Indian citizens.

And TBH it doesn't bother me as I probably earn more money than the locals do.

9. Re: Hiking and Trekking in Mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2015, 05:19