We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

Chengdu, China
2 posts
Save Topic
Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

Hey All,

I am planning a travel to Mauritius in circa June/July or August for its lower cost in the low season. Seems Lux Bella Mare is very fantastic and it is very like to be my choice. But I am worried about the sea condition during that period. Is it too cold for bathing?Is the sea calm enough(I am not a good swimmer :)) ?Does the sea water have a good transparency? I heard the east coast is windier than west so really worrying the sea is too rough. I had a lesson - I went to Phuket in the low season and the sea was so rough and I couldn't bath at all.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,447 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

Your observations seem spot on to me. Belle Mare can indeed be windy at that time of year.

You could be lucky but as you have stated with previous experience in Phuket you could on the other hand be unlucky.

I would choose another location, either north, north west or west. It is low season in Mauritius and prices reflect that all over the island.

Chengdu, China
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

Thank you Mazza. It is just one of my friend stayed in Lux Balla Mare and he gave the belle mare beach an extremely high appraise. But, yes, there must be more choices there. Which beach do you recommend rom these aspects - good sand, good water(warm, calm and transparent), etc?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,039 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

I agree with Mazza. There is a chance that the trade winds which blow on the east coast in winter may spoil your holiday. You'd do better to choose a hotel on the west, north or north/west coast where the weather will be better. You'll certainly be able to swim then as the water is still very warm despite it being winter. It is generally very calm inside the lagoon and transparency is good.

You could consider doing the undersea walk in Grand Baie, too, which is a lovely way to view the fish etc without having to be a strong swimmer.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,715 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

I went in July and stayed in the north west but did swim in the sea in the east coast and sun bathed on a trip to Ile aux Cerfs, however it was sunny and hot at the time but its better to be cautious and be at the north or west of the island.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,447 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

We're often there in June and into July, stay in the west as we find it most convenient but travel all over the island while we're there with no problems at all and often no weather issues on the east, but I think taking a chance on staying east could be disappointing.

After your experience in Phuket I wouldn't chance it either, we went there in October a few years back and whilst had hot and sunny days also experienced torrential rain in the evenings, can't imagine how disappointing that would have been during the day, every day.

My advice is err on the cautious, avoid east and south and book north, north west or west. Lots of lovely hotels to choose from. See what you like the look of and come back and ask us if you need further information.

Delhi
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

better thing would be to use a weather tool like thermostat appon ur mobile

7. Re: Sea condition in winter in Mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 January 2015, 06:21