We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

South Africa
Level Contributor
381 posts
84 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

My elderly parents are travelling to Mauritius in Feb. They are staying at the Beach villas in Mt Choisy. Are there any supermarkets nearby, as well as good restaurants. Which bus should they take to Grand Bay? What are the general prices of taxies to travel around? What excursions are of value in that area?

Kind regards

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,356 posts
1,840 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

In that area there are one or two small stores on the main road. There are buses going to Grand Baie about every 15 minutes during the daytime. They are clearly marked that they are going to Grand Baie. There is a small Italian pizza restaurant in that vicinity.

However more choice of restaurants and a big hypermarket (SuperU) in Grand Baie.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

Hi Roxy, you mention that your parents are elderly. Are they still fairly mobile? Would they be up to a catamaran cruise for the day or is that too much for them? You must remember that February is very hot and humid which can be very tiring even for the not so elderly. So I'd advise against too much walking - rather use a taxi to plan a trip for them to see places that are easy to access. I had thought of suggesting the Botanical Gardens at Pamplemousse but that would be too hot in February as it's a long walk inside the gardens.

The red roofed church at Cap Malheureux on the northern tip is very picturesque with stunning views across to the northern islands. The drive is pleasant and they'll get to see more of Mauritius.

What are their interests? Would they enjoy museum visits? If so, then near the botanical gardens is the Aventure du Sucre which is fascinating. There are also other museums in Port Louis which could be worth a visit by air conditioned taxi.

Did you get sorted out with a hotel at the airport, by the way?

Regards

Dee

South Africa
Level Contributor
381 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

Hi there Dee and Preston. Thanks for useful info. My parents are 79 and 72. Mobile, but long walks will be tiring so I will suggest a taxi or bus ride to them. Yes thx Dee for useful info on taxi, I have pre booked with the company.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

Walking in some areas isn't a great idea as the sidewalks are often narrow and not in good shape. Could be tricky for older folk. Taxis are a better option. They are very accommodating when it comes to a half day tour etc. and will act as a guide as well which is useful.

South Africa
Level Contributor
381 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

Do you have any idea what they ask for half day and full day

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,402 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

Unfortunately not as it fluctuates with the fuel price etc. You could check with the company who are doing the transfers for your folks - they should be able to give you an idea. We've only used the taxis outside the hotels we've stayed at and have then negotiated a price with the driver before departing.

South Africa
Level Contributor
381 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

Thx Dee thats what we did when we stayed at La Piroque. The taxies however that parked right outside hotel gate were more expensive.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,558 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

If you look again at the taxismauritius site I gave you in your other thread then you will see that they do tours as well as aiprort transfers.

You can either book with them or use it as a baseline for negotitaing with the local drivers.

http://www.taxismauritius.com/index.htm

9. Re: Beach Villas, Coastal Road, Mt Choisy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 January 2015, 06:18