We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

Trying to decide between Le Victoria or Sugar Beach... Both being offered to us at similar price, for 7 nights in October with our 3 kids (ages 10, 9 & 4).

Interested to find out how the two resorts compare to each other in terms of:

* Weather - will it be much the same in either location? (We like it hot and loathe wind!)

* Beach - which is better? We are from Cape Town, SA, so pretty spoilt! Looking for that postcard stretch of soft, white sand with clear blue waters... Not too fussed about swimming or watersports - more just need a good beach to lie on and soak up the rays, while we watch our kids splash about in shallow waters - they won't want to swim far...

* Food - which resort offers better choice or quality of food?

* Décor/general appearance - is one more upmarket/modern than the other?

Any feedback from someone who has been to both resorts before, would be greatly appreciated!

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

I am looking at the same and have been told that Sugar beach is more like 5 star and the Victoria is 5 star. Sugar Beach has 6 restaurants (2 at La Pirogue) and one is buffet and 2 have menus. Le Victoria have less restaurants but would be worth checking if you have to supplement in the other restaurants.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,366 posts
1,844 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

Weather is not an issue in October. Victoria in on the north west and Sugar beach is on the west. The Sugar beach as a long stretch of beach at flic en flac, which is over 3 miles long.

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

I meant to say earlier le Victoria is 4 star. x

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

The beach at Sugar Beach is far nicer than the one at Le Victoria. Sugar Beach had an extensive refurb, in fact was rebuilt, several years ago.

As previously stated weather is ok anywhere in October.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,409 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

I've stayed at Le Victoria and loved it. Sugar Beach is on my bucket list. From my research I think Sugar Beach is the better option of the two if you can get them at a similar price. Definitely more choice when it comes to restaurants at SB as you can use the ones at Le Pirogue next door.

I've always found Sugar Beach to be more expensive when I've got quotes. I'd be interested to know who is quoting them at similar prices so I can get quotes from them in future!!!

Cape Town Central...
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

Thanks for everyone's feedback :-)

DeeCapeTown: I received quotes from Pentravel where Le Victoria and Sugar Beach were very similarly priced on a half-board basis. For full-board options, Le Victoria was about R7k cheaper than Sugar Beach.

It sounds as if the general consensus is that Sugar Beach is better than Le Victoria, mainly in terms of beach. Still wondering about the quality/choice of food - if there are any big differences. Have read a few negative reviews about the food @ Sugar Beach - not in terms of poor quality, but more that it is all much the same, night after night..

Edited: 08 February 2014, 10:10
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,113 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

I know a few people who've stayed at Sugar Beach and loved the food and everything about the hotel. Being able to use the facilities at the sister hotel La Pirogue means even more choice for restaurants.

As far as reviews are concerned I read as many as I can and go with the majority view. Food is a very subjective matter, what suits some isn't right for others. I think even the fussiest of eaters will be happy with the food at Sugar Beach. Can't speak for Le Victoria as I haven't been there.

If you like an alcoholic drink and eat lunch I would consider All Inclusive, even buying soft drinks for your children will add quite a lot to your hotel account.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,409 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

Thanks for info re Pentravel - I'll be sure to get quotes from them for next trip.

You'll have more choice of restaurants at Sugar Beach as you can also use the restaurants at Le Pirogue, as Mazza mentioned. I'm always amazed when people say that they found the choice lacking at various hotels. I've never found this - in fact, I never manage to get round to trying everything that takes my fancy during a holiday. And often want to have something I've tried before but it isn't offered again. So really don't worry about the food as you are sure to enjoy what's on offer at either of these hotels. Remember that the chefs are also prepared to cook specially for you if you really don't find anything to your liking or if you have special dietary requirements.

With the shocking exchange rate at the moment for us Saffers I'd go AI if possible.

9. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 February 2014, 14:22
Edenvale, South...
Level Contributor
1,081 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sugar Beach vs Le Victoria - anyone been to both?

I would not suggest AI if you choose Sugar Beach as you still have young children. There is a supermarket about 500m down the road from Sugar Beach (we have stayed at La Pirogue which is next door about 4 times recently) where you can stock up on cold drinks and snacks at SA prices or even less.There is also a Pick'nPay and Spar not too far away either. You will pay a supplement for all of you for AI, and in my experience, it isn't worth it when you have young children, unless you are heavy drinkers.

I have no idea how far the shops are from Le Victoria though.