We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

June visit - anniversary, road cycling, dolphin sighting ...

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
June visit - anniversary, road cycling, dolphin sighting ...

We are planning on spending our 10th annivesary in Mauritius this June. Reading through the wealth of information on this forum it sounds like the west will have calmer weather at this time but some of the hotels on the east sound nice too.

We'll most likely go all-inc, and I've narrowed down my search to the following:

Angsana Balaclava hotel - looks nice.

20 Degres Sud Hotel - Small and modern- Is it too quiet? I like that you have access to boats to take trips and get out. Is being in a 'bay' nicer than coast?

The Oberoi, Turtle Bay - rated #1 - is it worth the price?

Maradiva Villas Resort and Spa, Flic en Flac - the beach doesn't sound as nice as the ones in the north east?, is being close to the National Parks that handy?

LUX Belle Mare & LUX Grande - which is the newer and more 'couple friendly' hotel?, Is the east ok for June?

I think while we are there we'd like to do some snorkelling, glass bottom trip, see some dolphins, maybe climb up to the waterfalls and my husband would be over the moon to hire a road bike and tour the island with a guide.

I'd really appreciate any guidance on which hotel to choose and which part of the island to stay on.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,742 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: June visit - anniversary, road cycling, dolphin sighting ...

In June I wouldn't stay in the east or the south. Look at hotels in north, north west or west. Your choice will be limited if you want All Inclusive. Maradiva for instance doesn't offer AI.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,890 posts
1,773 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: June visit - anniversary, road cycling, dolphin sighting ...

The Oberoi also does not offer AI.

Take a look at Maritim, Mauricia, Sugar Beach and Trou aux Biches (which does full board plus package.)

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: June visit - anniversary, road cycling, dolphin sighting ...

By road bike, do you mean bicycle or motorcycle?

London, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: June visit - anniversary, road cycling, dolphin sighting ...

Thank you fo rthe prompt replies.

That would be by bicycle but not off-road mountain bikes. He'd look to hire a road bicycle and ride it on tarmac/paved roads around the island. Road cycling 'sportives' are really popular here with groups of a dozen men or so, up and down the country meeting and going out every Sunday morning for a 2-3h ride.

I was looking at all-inc for simplicity and ease but for the right hotel it doesn't matter I guess. With this in mind how would you rate the hotels above?

For the activities we want to do is west or north best, or does it really not matter as the distance is only about an hour?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,134 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: June visit - anniversary, road cycling, dolphin sighting ...

Okay - thanks for clarity. I know what you mean as my husband is a keen cyclist, too. I don't have any knowledge of road bikes for hire as the hotels all have mountain bikes available for guests to explore on. But this is usually limited to a short ride in the area of the hotel or an organised trip off road. The roads in Mauritius are narrow with virtually no shoulder so cycling any distance on the open road would be dangerous as there is no place for other vehicles to pass safely.

Perhaps other TA members have more knowledge of organised cycling clubs etc??? I know they have an annual cycle race which I've watched on TV so it could well be that there are active groups on the island.

It's quite easy to get around to see the various sites no matter where you stay. Dolphins are mainly in the west around Flic en Flac/Tamarin Bay area so if this is important then I'd look at Sugar Beach first. You'll have fabulous sun sets and access to the restaurants at neighbouring Le Pirogue as well.

6. Re: June visit - anniversary, road cycling, dolphin sighting ...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2015, 06:17