We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing currency

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Changing currency

Is it better to change the Mauritius currency back to sterling before you leave the airport for your return back to the UK or change it when you get home.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,711 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing currency

Sorry never done that. We keep ours for the next trip.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing currency

Like Mazza I keep mine for the next trip or spend it before I leave.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,875 posts
1,771 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing currency

Its more convenient at the airport in Mauritius although I am not sure whether you will get a better rate.

North Yorkshire
Level Contributor
53 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing currency

Thanks for your help

As we are both in our late sixties this possibly will be our last long haul flight so we will not want to keep any currency when we return

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,022 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing currency

Wherever you change it back to sterling you are going to lose out - the rate is less favourable changing back to sterling.

Why not simply just use all the MUR's up towards the end of your trip and use a credit card to settle your final hotel bill?

Or use any leftover rupees to buy things in duty free?

Otherwise change back at the airport.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,122 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing currency

Or you could use it up by giving tips to the staff at your hotel if there isn't enough left over to warrant changing it back to Sterling. We usually change a relatively small amount as we use our credit cards for most purchases and draw cash at the ATM if we run short towards the end of the holiday.

Mauritius
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing currency

better to change your currency before starting for airport. Saves time and get better rates. Also u can not change coins.

8. Re: Changing currency

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 April 2015, 05:16