We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thomson Dreamliner

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
411 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Thomson Dreamliner

Hi,

My husband and I are planning to going to Mauritius next year to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary (going to stay at the Ambre Resort). Can anyone tell me whether it is worth upgrading to Premium on the Dreamliner, given that the flight is nearly 11 hours?

Many thanks

Jemma

London
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

They have 9 abreast at the back, so it will be very tight back there (BA have 9 across on their 777s which is a significantly wider aircraft ) so if you feel like you can afford it I certainly would

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
39,053 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Jem you might also like to post this on airtravel - there are usually threads about this on there:

If you pop dreamliner into the searchbox on airtravel your will find quite a few threads :)

I havent been on the dreamliner but will drop Angie a PM asking her to take a look at your thread here!

She knows all there is to know about the plane.

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g1-i10702-Air_Tr…

Suffolk, UK
Level Contributor
411 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Hi Victoria

Thanks for your reply. We normally upgrade when we travel long-haul but haven't flown on the Dreamliner yet so was just wondering what the Premium cabin was like :)

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,053 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Jemma I think it may be expensive to upgrade -someone was telling me on some dates it was £700 which is well OTT.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Hello all just popped in to see where I can help.

Upgrading to Premium is all depending on if you personally think the added money will be worth it to yourself. Looking at some of the price of upgrades even though I always upgrade to Premium I would certainly not consider paying silly money, I have seen some upgrade prices £700 per person depending on dates.........Thomson must be kidding charging that price.

Economy seating is 34" seat pitch in majority of the cabin with 36" seat pitch in rows 11/12/13 A/B/C & G/H/J but does come at small cost. It is only 5 rows in the rear of the cabin on the outer section Row 34 to 38 (ABC/GHJ) that have only 33" seat pitch instead of 34" seat pitch like everywhere else.

Also the latest breaking news is that Thomson are to provide complimentary drinks in both Premium and Economy cabins from November 1st 2014 to align their long haul product with both Virgin Atlantic and British Airways flights. So even less reason to upgrade to the Premium cabin in the future.

Any other questions just fire away and I will help all I can:)

Angie.

Edited: 13 April 2014, 14:31
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,053 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Thaks for popping in Angie - I was just posting as you did and remembered the £700 costing. :)

That's good news about them extending the drinks service to Y - as you say it brings them more into line with BA and VS and the 3 main operators here AF MK and EK.

Devon, United...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Level Contributor
38,570 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Your welcome Bronia.......glad to help out where I can.

Yes it's great news that Thomson are upping their game with the Dreamliner and so it should be........they can at least try to close the gap between charter and scheduled airlines.

Well hello Jemma, fancy meeting you here..........lol lol............our paths cross once again :)

Angie.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,734 posts
220 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Good news indeed about the included drinks in economy, it will make the service speedier with the FA's not collecting payment as they go down the aisles.

We found legroom in economy (row 15) absolutely fine, I was in the middle of the three but it's the elbow room I had trouble with sitting next to a pax with fidgety arms.. So for that reason I would say premium wins out but not at any price.

London
Level Contributor
535 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

Elbow room is what people are moaning about on the BA 787s which are similarly configured. If you're broad, I would try to avoid them as much as possible

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
39,053 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thomson Dreamliner

I think seat width is about one inch less on these planes than EK's A380 though I think perhaps their seat pitch is better than the A380?

Edited: 13 April 2014, 19:42