We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice on where to stay please

Durban
Level Contributor
42 posts
154 reviews
Save Topic
Advice on where to stay please

Hi

We plan on going to Mauritius from 3 -13 Jan 2015, parents + 2 sons ages 17, 22. This will be our third trip - stayed at Tamassa & Club Med le Cannonier previously. Am looking at Lux Grand Gaube, Le Sakoa, possibly La Pirogue. Boys would like lots of activities, some fun and some night life. What would you suggest? Not keen on La Mauricia - too many comments that it is tired, and we're not keen on resorts that mostly cater for families with young children. Our budget can stretch to 4 star all inclusive but not the more expensive 4 almost 5 star.

Thank you, any advice will be much appreciated.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice on where to stay please

Lux Grand Gaube is off the beaten track with nothing much in the immediate vicinity so it wouldn't be my first choice if your boys want to get out and about and explore. We took our boys to Le Mauricia when they were in their early twenties and they loved it. They could walk into Grand Baie in 5 minutes when they wanted to get away from the oldies!!! Le Mauricia is one of the most vibey hotels we've stayed in and is not over run with little kids - well, it wasn't both times we stayed there.

Most hotels have very laid back evening entertainment - usually a couple of dance shows (sega, Indian, cabaret) per week and then a band or DJ providing music on the other evenings. Not the type of thing to really appeal to your sons, I should imagine. My two were always so exhausted after skiing, snorkelling and sailing all day that they gave the evening entertainment a miss and watched TV in their room after dinner or spent the evening keeping in touch with their girlfriends using the free internet access in the bar area.

I believe that Le Pirogue and Sugar Beach's bars stay open much later than most other resorts. I think someone mentioned recently on forum that they close at 2am compared to 11 or 12 at most other places. This could swing it for you plus the fact that you can use the facilities at both resorts. We recently got a quote for Le Pirogue and they offered us the chance to move to Sugar Beach for two nights of our stay. Not sure if I'd do that as it would mean packing and unpacking but it may appeal to other people.

Good luck with your search!

Regards

Dee

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,617 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice on where to stay please

Lux Grand Gaube is more couples orientated and also isolated - much better idea to go for La Pirogue.

You can share facilities with Sugar Beach so double the choice.

Lots of things to occupy the teens with Flic en Flac on your doorstep.

Hilton near Flic en Flac isnt bad either.

Durban
Level Contributor
42 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice on where to stay please

Thank you so much Dee, this is helpful. Forgot to ask what about Le Victoria as another option?

Durban
Level Contributor
42 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice on where to stay please

Thanks Bronia, for the good guidance - it's always a toss up between a good rate and what will work best for a particular family.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,895 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice on where to stay please

Our last stay was at Le Victoria and we loved it. However, we felt there were more children around than at Le Mauricia but the kids really didn't bother us as they are well catered for at the kid's club. Friends of ours who are in their 60s and have never had kids stayed at Le Vic before us and raved about it so much that we decided to try it. Le Victoria has huge rooms and a much nicer beach than Le Mauricia but it's a good 15 minute drive to Grand Baie. There is a greater choice of restaurants, too.

6. Re: Advice on where to stay please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 April 2015, 05:17