We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

Hello,

Me and my Wife-to-be are planning to go to Mauritius from the 6th of june till the 13th for 7 nights.

What I've gathered so far is weather should be pleasant and that to avoid the wind I should try and stay somewhere on the west coast if possible.

- We'd Prefer if it were more of a adult-themed hotel (the less kids the better)

- Affords us some privacy in our room (not worrying about neighbors!) but close to attractions in mauritius

- Located or close to some of the top beaches, even though I know everything is a stones throw away.

- Offers some nightlife activities at the hotel or close by.

The second issue is, is it worth going AI?

I know hotels such as Shandrani, Constance Belle Mare Plage, Tamassa, Sugar beach resort and others offer All-inclusive.

Which is obviously something that we are trying to keep in mind but would we be missing out on the BEST hotel if we didn't go and stay at a highly rated hotel for example with no AI?

Some hotels I know offer 'Bride stays for free' such as the Oberoi which adds to the confusion!

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated, sorry for my rant.

Rakan

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,730 posts
1,737 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

If you are going to be hotel based with little by way of excursion then AI is worth considering. Maritim, Sugar beach are few of the hotels that offers good AI and hotels worth considering.

For non AI, Oberoi is a very good hotel and should meet your needs.

The Shandrani is regarded one of the best AI hotels in Mauritius but location may not be the best. Also consider Trou aux Biches which has a Full Board plus package.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

Thank you for the info.

I was considering the AI mainly for the Meals and the drinks. But I do think that we are looking to rent a car and definitely drive around the northern side of Mauritius, which seems to have an high concentration of things to do. Definately interested also in Deep Sea Fishing.

Also, should I be completely put off by east-coast resorts? Is the wind that strong around Constance Belle Mare Plage or Lux Belle Mare? As their rooms seem attractive with attractive beaches and they do offer an AI too as I recall.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

Belle Mare Plage is one of my favourites - I loved it and as you said they now do an AI.

I was there one May and no problem with wind and as you will be going first week of June I don't see the weather being a problem then either.

So don't count it out - it has the best beach in Mauritius IMO.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

Thank you for the help guys.

I've gone and contacted a travel agency and got some deals for two All-inclusive hotels (without flights as most flight deals were from the UK not from Kuwait!)

Zilwa Attitude was quoted at 1471 GBP for the two of us for 9 nights in the superior room.

Constance BMG was quoted at 2257 GBP for two of us for 9 nights in the prestige rooms.

Both are all inclusive. Zilwa attitude is in the north tip and I'm not sure if I even considered it before having this rate quoted to me which is great. I know Constance BMG is a sure bet, but should Zilwa Attitude be a close second for that price?

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
38,521 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

Zilwa is north at Calodyne - it opened last year and I visited it just shortly after it opened and was impressed.

I did a mini review here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g3186967-d…

Location wise there's a bus stop outside and taxis for hire. Grand Baie is a 15 minute drive.

Its a good hotel.

Edited: 21 April 2014, 15:21
Durham, United...
Level Contributor
237 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

honestly I think the Shandrani would be your best bet depending on what time of year that you go, If you avoid uk, French and german school holidays then children should be minimal.

We looked at all the htoels on the island and we found this one to be gorgeous, decent sized pools, plenty of activities included and all inclusive really is all inclusive unlike a lot of other hotels.

Deluxe room would be the lowest I would go as the standard and superior rooms are very basic.

We have in fact booked our wedding here and we cannot wait.

As an alternative, why don't you book 1 week at Shandrani and 1 week at one of the other Beachcomber hotels for a bit of variety, however I would consider making the Shandrani your final week as a lot of other posters are saying this is by far a superior hotel and you would be disappointed leaving Shandrani and taking a step down to another hotel

7. Re: Honeymoon: Where to stay? and Is it worth AI?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 June 2015, 07:16