We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling, June weather

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Snorkeling, June weather

Hello, we are planning to visit Mauritius in mid-June and am wondering about the best areas and hotels for snorkeling? The information about snorkeling on the forums is pretty dated so looking for up-to-date info. I also read that June may be too windy for snorkeling, I'm hoping that this isn't correct. We visited Seychelles last year and had the best experience ever, hope Mauritius can match it. Thanks in advance for your advice!

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,211 posts
1,636 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

I have been snorkelling in July and had no issues. Some hotels will have snorkelling trips out on a boat. In the eastern part I have snorkelled off the beach and had good views as well as places like Ile aux Cerfs.

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,776 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

June is not generally a windy month, the sea is warm and visibility very good. Must admit though that the snorkelling and the variety of fish was better in the Seychelles.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

I've snorkelled in July in the south west with no problems. For the best snorkelling you should head for the Blue Bay area in the south as it is a marine reserve. Hotels in the area are Preskil Beach and Shandrani. There is another marine reserve on the north west coast at Pointe aux Piments where there are lots of hotels - Meridien, Le Victoria, The Oberoi to name a few. We stayed at Le Victoria and had some good trips to the reef to snorkel. Weather will be slightly warmer on the north west coast than in the south.

The snorkelling probably won't be as good as Seychelles.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
218 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

HI there

We are heading to the Ambre Mar next week. Do you know what the snorkelling is like there?

Cheers.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,799 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

Sorry, I haven't snorkelled on the east coast yet. Hopefully Preston or someone else will give you first hand info.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,211 posts
1,636 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

I have snorkelled off Belle Mare beach and Ile aux cerfs and its very good right off the beach but be careful of the coral. Also the hotels should offer free snorkelling trips.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

Thank you all for the quick response! For snorkeling trips is the reef shallow, or do you need to dive to really appreciate it?

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
17,776 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

I've snorkelled off the east coast on a boat trip, hence no coral as in deep water. Snorkelling was very good, but it all depends what you are comparing it with. No need to dive IMO.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
13 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

I've done boat trips in Seychelles and the Florida Keys and the reef is very shallow in both places. The coral is mostly dead in Seychelles but it didn't detract from the experience and we were able to get amazing photos and video without having to stay submerged. Trying to decide whether we need to plan to dive to get decent photos/video or if snorkeling will do.

Edited: 08 May 2014, 07:23
10. Re: Snorkeling, June weather

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2015, 05:17