We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

I am travelling to Mauritius, starting 18th May, up to 29th May, with my wife and daughter(15 years). Hotel bookings are done, and I have hired a car through Maki rental. Will post soon on my reviews/experiences there.

I want to be doing trips to Casela Nature Park (Rando Fun!?, Safari), and to Chamarel Park Adventure, and the Botanical Garden. My question is: do I need to pre-book these things (online), or can I drop in at these places on the same day morning and buy tickets? If booking is required, then is there a direct booking site for these (I couldn't locate one)?

Also, for other things like catamaran trip, and snorkelling trips, do I need to pre-book; or is there a place where I can speak to various vendors and book on the spot?

Thanks in advance.

Manish

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

Manish, we don't recommend that you book before you arrive in Mauritius. Once you are there you can shop around the various tour operators in the closest town and find the best prices for the activities you are interested in. You can often haggle a bit on the price if you are booking more than one outing with them.

Places like the botanical gardens and Casela - you can just arrive on the day and buy tickets at the gate. I think it's only the lion walk at Casela that needs to be pre-booked.

Which resort are you staying at?

Dee

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,369 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

As Dee says no need to book any of these prior.

As for the lion walk we don't advocate it on here for ethical reasons.

If you want to know why just look at the posts on South Africa forum on this.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
238 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

Hey Manish,

Well for Casela there is nothing you can book in advance through any online channel. However you can call them and block the day/timings for the activities you wish to do, when you will be in Mauritius. What we did is visited Casela and made payment for the activities one day before we actually utilized them. Quad Biking is just too amazing at Casela.

For Catamaran you may try http://mauritiusattractions.com/ , they have their office at Grand Bay.

Regards,

Piyush Sengar

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

Dee, Piyush, and Bronia, thanks for the responses. In that case, I would then relax, until the trip starts :)

Would shop around in Grand Bay, or nearby area, and then settle with one of them.

On the Casela Nature Park, I certainly would not be interested in walking/patting the cats. My main interest was in their trails, that I read here : www.mauritius-guide.net/nature-parks/ . "Rando fun" seems to be good, but will find out more when I am there.

Piyush, thanks for the link to Mauritius attractions. Will take your recommendation on Quad Biking too. :)

You suggested to call the operators for blocking time etc. Did you get a local phone SIM? Which local telecom would you guys recommend, for a voice only plan, that allows local calls. For data, I would rely on complimentary Wifis.

@Dee: I've split my stay between Le Victoria, and PereyBere Apartments.

Edited: 12 May 2014, 14:20
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,664 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

Awesome, Madhu - our last trip was to Le Victoria which was lovely. It's about 15 minutes into Grand Baie by car or you can catch the bus on the nearby coastal road. Plenty of operators to visit there who all offer very similar outings etc so you can compare prices very easily. They all have printed brochures for you to take with you, too.

Pereybere Apartments are fairly close to Bronia's apartment, I think, so she'll be able to give you more info about what's available in that area.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
42,369 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

Pereybere Apartments I had a look round for a friend just over a year ago and I liked them.

Centrally located and and straight across from the beach with shops and restaurants just outside and a Winners supermarket a few minutes stroll away its well located.

Its a 5 minute bus ride to Grand Baie.

SIM you can get from Emtel at Grand Baie opposite the Super U complex.

You need a passport and an unlocked phone.

http://www.emtel.com/

Bengaluru, India
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

Thanks Bronia, and Dee.

Very informative, and I am feeling much relaxed after reading your inputs on the supermarkets, distance from Grand Bay, and that I would be able to enable the voice connection.

Edited: 13 May 2014, 14:45
8. Re: Prior Booking to Nature Parks in Mauritius

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 May 2015, 06:15