We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Confused between west coast and east coast

3 posts
Save Topic
Confused between west coast and east coast

Hello Friends,

I am planning to go to Mauritius in Mid July with my wife for our babymoon. I am confused between staying on East coast or West coast after reading some reviews that west coast is better in July.

Even on West coast, am confused between staying at The Oberoi in Balaclava or other properties in Flic En Flac or Le Morne area?

Please help.

Mentioned in this post
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
1,626 Reviews
Mauritius
Balaclava
Balaclava
Mauritius
Flic En Flac
Flic En Flac
Mauritius
Le Morne
Le Morne
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,493 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

I would jump at the Oberoi - its a first class hotel. I looked around it recently and was very impressed by the high standardl of accomodation and facilities. The GM Marc Denton is hands on and leads a very professional and dedicated team.

Beautiful hotel. Location wise a good choice on the north west coast.

Also consider Trou aux Biches Resort - another first class hotel which really impressed me.

Le Morne you may find breezy as its on a peninsular and catches the wind - hence the kite surfing there.

Two resorts on the west coast are closed for refurbishing - Sands Resort and Hilton, which leaves you with a choice of Sofitel, Sugar Beach or La Pirogue.

Mentioned in this post
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
1,626 Reviews
Mauritius
Le Morne
Le Morne
Mauritius
Hilton Mauritius Resort & Spa
Hilton Mauritius Resort...
2,756 Reviews
Mauritius
Sugar Beach Mauritius
Sugar Beach Mauritius
3,579 Reviews
Mauritius
La Pirogue Mauritius
La Pirogue Mauritius
3,449 Reviews
Mauritius
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

In July I would stick to west coast as the weather will be better than in the east which is subject to the trade winds during winter. I'd avoid Le Morne as it is also a bit too windy at times. We stayed at Paradis in July and although we had a great holiday the wind was stronger than I expected on some days. Made hubby happy as he's a keen sailor and enjoyed taking the Hobicats out on windy days.

As Bronia says if you can stay at the Oberoi then do!!! It's stunning. And quite close to both Grand Baie and Port Louis if you want to get out and about for shopping etc.

Mentioned in this post
Le Morne
Le Morne
Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
1,626 Reviews
Mauritius
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
Port Louis
Port Louis
Mauritius
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

Thank you guys... going ahead with booking The Oberoi. Please let me know couple of things. 1. Is it better to carry US dollars and change them in Port Louis (as airport changers generally don't give good rates). 2. I plan to hire a car during my stay..is it recommended?

Mentioned in this post
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
1,626 Reviews
Mauritius
Port Louis
Port Louis
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,493 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

Great choice - you will love Oberoi!

Check the Top Questions re taking US$ rather than INR's to change to MURs - its about half way down the list of FAQs to the right of this page.

Exchange rates at the airport here are good.

There are also branches of Shibani, Thomas Cook and the usual banks in Grand Baie which is a 20 min drive away.

www.shibanifinance.com/pages/exchangerate.php

Car hire is a great way to see the island. Driving is on the left as in the UK and India.

If you want the name of a good local car hire company in Grand Baie let me know - a lot of us use him.

Very competitively priced, modern cars and good service.

Mentioned in this post
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
1,626 Reviews
Mauritius
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
Dubai, United Arab...
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

Hi Bronia!

Thanks for the reply. Is the car company name - MCB in Grand bay as I have read in your other reviews. Do you suggest to go HB or only B&B at Oberoi keeping in mind i will hiring car and wish to visit other restaurants as well during our stay.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Bay Suites
Grand Bay Suites
223 Reviews
Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
1,626 Reviews
Mauritius
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
6,094 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

Car hire company we usually recommend is Grand Bay Contract Cars. Many of use the same firm.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Bay Suites
Grand Bay Suites
223 Reviews
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,493 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

Yes it is Grand Bay Contract cars.

If you want to eat out in the evenings then BB would be good but HB isnt a bad idea either if you don't feel like driving every evening.

Heres a list of restaurants in the area:

restaurants.mu/search/…

Also check out Trou aux Biches and Grand Baie listings.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Bay Suites
Grand Bay Suites
223 Reviews
Mauritius
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

Sorry to bother again..more and more questios pop in my mind everytime.:-)

Is it safe to drive at late evenings around that area for dinner? Also, i am being offered HB at around $215/night, if we have our meals at Oberoi on A la carte basis, would it be dearer?

Mentioned in this post
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
1,626 Reviews
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,493 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

Sorry I don't know the menu prices but if you contact Oberoi for a sample menu and prices they will send you one so you can compare your options.

oberoihotels.com/oberoi_mauritius/contact_us…

The only problem we find driving at night is the lack of street lighting on the back roads and other drivers dazzling you with full headlamps.

The route from Oberoi up to Grand Baie is more or less pretty straightforward though and shouldn't be a problem and there are places to eat within a few minutes drive.

Mentioned in this post
The Oberoi, Mauritius
The Oberoi, Mauritius
1,626 Reviews
Mauritius
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
10. Re: Confused between west coast and east coast

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 May 2015, 05:17