We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dhal Puri, Fruits in season & Local Transport

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
Dhal Puri, Fruits in season & Local Transport

Hi All

I hope U can help with my Questions.

(It had been more than 15 Yrs since I last step into Mauritius :D)

(1) Where I can find the Famous Dhal Puri guy that use to sell from a Bicycle somewhere near Port Louis Central Market (Did He had a stall now & Where Can I find it). He always have the longest Queue.

==> If not, where u recommend I had some good Dhal Puri?

(2) There is another famous Dhal Puri stall in Curepipe, izzit still around?

(3) Where can I eat Theokon & Chow Mein?

(The last time, I had in a double storey chinese restaurant Near the Mosque in Port Louis & Also Shanghai)

(4) What fruits is in Season btw June to Sept 2014?

(5) How much does a Local Bus cost now? Example:

==> Port Louis Express from Curepipe / Quatre Bornes / Rosehill

===> what about the cost of the normal - non express bus?

(6) Is there any Taxi, are they readily available Or I have to call?

==> How much does it cost for a ride from say RoseHill to Port Louis?

Thank U in advance for Your reply.

Cheers

Edited: 23 May 2014, 16:00
Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Dhal Puri, Fruits in season & Local Transport

Anyone?

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,322 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dhal Puri, Fruits in season & Local Transport

Your questions are pretty specific so you may not get answers to some of them. I'll help with what I can. Taxis are easy to get as each hotel has taxis connected to it who park outside with the hotel name on the side. You can chat to the drivers to get quotes on the trips you want to do. Or get the concierge to order you a taxi from a reputable company.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,183 posts
1,818 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dhal Puri, Fruits in season & Local Transport

Regarding the bus fares: I cannot give specific prices as I tend to to do Grand Baie to Port Louis and return but they are still cheap and a popular form of transport for locals.

Dhal Puri: It may be possible the same guy is still around but there are stalls in Central Market, outside the mosques in Port Louis on Friday and dotted around in Grand Baie, Pereybere beach, Flic en Flac etc.

Again for Chinese food, its possible that the same restaurant is still around but there seems to be some new ones in the Chinatown area in my previous visits.

As for fruits in seasons, it tends to be Oct to December in Mauritius but you can find small local bananas, Mangoes, Lychees, Pamplemousse, Papayas in theory anytime of the year.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
11,002 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dhal Puri, Fruits in season & Local Transport

Thank U Both for Ur reply. It is good to have some idea :D....

Hi DeeCapeTown, unfortunately, I won't have the chances to stay at any hotel. But good to know where i can find taxi if I need one :D

PrestonGuild, I will likely be taking a few Grand Baie to Port Lous Bus Ride too.......

Always Love the Curepipe to Port Louis Express bus :D.......

I heard alot of changes since I last visited.......But glad something might still remain & there are New things / Places to experience :D.

5. Re: Dhal Puri, Fruits in season & Local Transport

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 May 2015, 05:16