We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes in September?

Level Contributor
254 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes in September?

Hi all, we have booked two week in mid to end of September at Pearle Beach in Flic n Flac. I was wondering how bad the mosquito situation would be? Is there any need to take lots n lots of repellant? Any advice please?! :)

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,319 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

The hotels usually fog their grounds so there aren't too many mosquitoes in close proximity to the resorts. However, when you leave the resorts it can be a problem. So take along a good spray on or rub on anti mossie precaution and use it whenever you venture out of the hotel, to be on the safe side. Also use it at night if you a sitting outside.

That said, I've been to Mauritius four times and have never been bitten and I've never put on any creams etc. At home I get bitten regularly! But I think prevention is better than cure when on holiday. I'm sure Bronia will post when she sees your query as she knows the best products to use in Mauritius. In SA we use Peaceful Sleep or Tabard.

We'll be very close to you at the Sands during the same time so I hope we are both mossie free during our holidays. Have a great time!!!

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,023 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

More mozzies in the summer months - including dengue ones this summer just gone - but its not so bad from now until September/October.

It was pretty bad this summer and I got a few bites when I forgot the repellent as did friends who never normally get a bite.

As Dee said the hotels fog regularly, some also provide the mozzie mat plug ins.

We use the same moz repellent as you Dee - peaceful sleep - and we loved tabard but we haven't had any in stock for over a year now.

SURREY
Level Contributor
2,498 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

so end of april and begin may i need plenty stuff bronia

reagrds

jackie

xxx

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
21,178 posts
1,818 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

I was there in Mauritius in April of last year and definitely used mozzie repellant and nowadays we always take it with us when we visit a tropical island whatever the season.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
40,023 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

Yes Jackie - not so bad as it is Dec-March but the blighters are still around :)

6. Re: Mosquitoes in September?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 July 2015, 06:17