We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

London, United...
12 posts
Save Topic
Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

Dear All

I am trying to choose between 5 days at one of the above as part of my honeymoon in mauritius. The rates are the same for standard rooms (same board basis), and for superior rooms sugar beach is slightly cheaper.

Obviously at Sugar Beach is 5*, one would assume it to be the better hotel, but I know that is not necessarily the case and bow to your superior wisdom and knowledge! We expect to be quite active, so would prefer a more active feel potentially over total tranquility...! It would be great to have bikes to borrow etc to get around...

Thanks in advance.

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
4,870 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

There is little to choose between these sister resorts when it comes to activities as they share facilities. There will be plenty to do both land and water based.

The main difference is that La Pirogue has cottage type accommodation rather than rooms in a hotel block which is unusual for Mauritius.

United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Grand Baie
Level Contributor
20,362 posts
1,660 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

Sugar beach is regarded as newer and higher classed but if you like the Pirogue shaped accommodation then its worth going for.

London, United...
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

Thanks for the tip :)

Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
18,035 posts
193 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

Sugar Beach had a full refurb and new buildings about six years ago, La Pirogue is older but certainly not lacking in style. By the way they are near to Flic en Flac, not in Grand Baie.

Lurgan, United...
Level Contributor
59 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

I would go with La Pirogue for couples although both resorts are good. My wife & I got married @La Pirogue & will be going back again this October for 10th anniversary so am a bit biased. I think you can use the facilities in both resorts but would need to check depending on which package you book. The chalets @ La Pirogue are really nice & feel more private within the grounds & the grounds are beautiful. Enjoy your trip.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,496 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

Another vote for La Pirogue - the little bungalows dotted around the lovely gardens are more appealing than the usual block type accomodation.

I shall be staying at LP in a couple of weeks.

7. Re: Gran Baie - La Pirogue or Sugar Beach?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 July 2015, 05:16