We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
62 posts
182 reviews
Save Topic
Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Arrived today for a 8 day stay with my family.

Booked through Virgin, normally book our holidays direct with hotels but the package and service from Virgin was excellent.

Flew in on Emirates Airbus A380. Plane was packed and service was good. Pretty shattered on arrival as flight lands 9.00am local time which is 6.00am UK time, so it's a tiring journey.

The airport is great, opened in Sept last year, immigration queues were short all staff very friendly and helpful, even the immigration officers!

Virgin rep met us outside customs, it's also good to exchange your cash here, rate we got was Rs50 for £1.00 and no commission charge.

Transport was Ina shared minibus with another couple who were going to the Meriden Hotel. Roads and road user are excellent and was expecting an African/Subcontient experience but pleasantly surprised.

Journey time was 50 minutes. Arrived at the hotel at 12.00 and were checked in, unfortunately rooms weren't available but they will look after your suitcases and they have a arrival/departure lounge. You will be give a pass to the lounge and a locker so you can store your hand luggage etc. There are bathrooms and showers if you want to freshen up and change. Though we were told the rooms weren't available till 3.00 we went to ask reception at 2.30 and the rooms were ready.....yeh!

We have 2 Prestige rooms on the second floor, They overlook the turtle bay beach. Rooms are large with interesting sliding doors partitioning the room and bathroom and large freestanding bath. Separate dressing room with storage for suitcases. The sofa can be converted into a sofa-bed so the 3 kids are sharing a room. Tea and coffee as standard and fridge is well stocked with all soft drinks and beer free in the all inclusive package.

The temperature was 25 centigrade today, was cloudy for a couple of hours early afternoon and then brightened up. The evening was cooler but still comfortable to just wear a t-shirt.

Will update further tomorrow on the activities and restaurants, if anyone has any questions please feel feet oaks and will try and answer.

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
37,053 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Welcome to Mauritius and thank you for your Trip Report and I'm sure you will get many questions.

I have one - would you mind reporting on the weather from the north west for us while you are here on the current weather thread?

That would be so helpful :)

Enjoy your stay at Maritim - its a lovely hotel.

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Are you sure all the soft drinks in the minibar are included? I think you will find the fizzy apple juice is chargeable.

You sound as if you are loving the Maritim as much as we did.

Edited: 03 August 2014, 07:33
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
62 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Correct MissFitts, the appletiser is not free nor are the snacks and chocolate.

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
62 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Day 2: an update on the restaurants we've tried so far.

We had a buffet lunch at the Belle Vue (this is the main hotel restaurant) which was alright plenty of choice in salads and veg but not enough meat for my liking. Milkshakes were good especially the vanilla.

Had dinner at Les Filaos (this is open air on the beach) which consisted of a BBQ grill. In the all inclusive you get a single platter of a variety of meat and a half langoustine and then there is a self service bar for salads,fries, rolls etc. instead of the latter you can half a burger instead. Coffee is freshly ground and very nice too. There was live music as well which made for a very enjoyable evening meal.

Breakfast this morning was at La Maree which faces onto the beach. There is a set menu for the all inclusive with choices regarding eggs and the cooked breakfast. Great setting and a wonderful way to start the day.

For La Maree and Les Filaos you need to book for dinner. Wanted to book la Maree for tonight but it was already fully booked by midday so booked for tomorrow night.

We had lunch at La Maree which again is a set menu with a choice of starters and main course which includes fish of the day. Starters weren't that good but the fish was tasty as was the creme brûlée dessert.

Essex, United...
Level Contributor
458 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Hi Southendwesthamfan

This is excellent as although I been to Mauritius 3 times before I will be staying at the Maritim for the first time in February

Looking forward to tomorrow's info

Have fun :o)

Edited: 03 August 2014, 15:47
Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
34,852 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Glad you are enjoying your stay...but did you do anything else but eat...LOL?

Bedford
Level Contributor
3,859 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Are the lovely trio of waitresses still at La Maree ? Neelam, Ishwareee and Vidya? They looked after us so well and were so funny. Such assets to the hotel,

Edited: 03 August 2014, 17:26
Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
62 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Tilly, that made me laugh, we have done other stuff but I guess like many guests that first arrive the vast choice of resturants, booking arrangements, timings, dress code, etc is a bit bewildering and had we had a bit more information before hand it might have made things a bit easier, hence the running commentary on food.

PS meal tonight was great too :)

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
39 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Thanks for the daily updates. We are staying at the Maritim next month so any info is great. We have booked the same room grade as you , is it as nice as it looks in the brochures , were you offered the chance to upgrade ?

Southend-on-Sea...
Level Contributor
62 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day 1 at The Maritim Hotel, Mauritius

Hi Stuart. The room is great and like the brochures. This image is exactly like our room

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/2f/3b/62/m…

The room overlooks the beginning section of turtle bay and is on the left of the hotel as you enter reception.

Didn't ask for a upgrade and weren't offered one. Hotel is pretty full so might have been unlikely anyway.