We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which 2 hotels

Dubai
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
Save Topic
Which 2 hotels

Hi

We have flights booked for October 8th for 1 week, and im considering a few days in the north of the island so we can get around and see a few places, and the rest of the time chilling out at Shandrani or Long Beach, or maybe Heritage Awali.

Where would you recommend in the north of the island, and would we be ok to go half board, are there lots of places to go for food and drinks at night.

Would consider apartments too, just not sure of the best areas to look at. Just thinking the north of the island would be better for us to hire a car and get around

Any help would be gratefully be appreciated

Thanks

Sue

Looking at maybe 3 nights in the north and 4 nights all inc at our other hotel

UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
for Mauritius, Belle Mare, Pointe Aux Piments, Pereybere
Level Contributor
43,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which 2 hotels

You could try Trou aux Biches Resort in the north west.

Also part of Beachcomber like Shandrani it was completely rebuilt recently.

Its a good 5* with a good beach and is within walking distance of Trou aux Biches village which has shops, two small supermarkets and places to eat.

beachcomber-hotels.com/hotel/trou-aux-biches…

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which 2 hotels

Any of the hotels in the Grand Baie area will be fine as you can easily get around by car from there. Some which spring to mind are Le Mauricia, Le Cannonier, Merville Beach, also Le Victoria and Maritim which are about 20 minutes away by car. There are lots of places to eat out in the evenings in Grand Bay and the surrounding areas. If you would prefer to eat out in the evening then perhaps self catering would be better as most HB options include dinner and breakfast. One or two resorts allow you to exchange lunch for dinner but I can't think of them off hand.

Mentioned in this post
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
Dubai
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which 2 hotels

Hi ladies,

Maybe you could help me with self catering in the north of the island.

Im looking at Cape Point Suites in Cap Malheureux and also Bon Azur in Trou-aux-Biches.

Are they near to any restaurants, shops etc, and also sightseeing places.

Are there any other luxury apartments you would recommend

Many thanks

Mentioned in this post
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,910 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which 2 hotels

I haven't done self catering so can't give you first hand info. However, I think I'd choose Trou aux Biches over Cap Malheureux purely due to location as TAB has more happening than Cap Malheureux, I think.

Mentioned in this post
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which 2 hotels

Both are excellent choices. My apartment is around 5mins drive from Cape Point which is next door to Coin de Mire at Bain Bouef and they are lovely. I pass them often.

On the bus route to Pereybere and Grand Baie and a few minutes from Winners supermarket at Pereybere.

They have excellent reviews on TA as does the Bon Azur.

Not sure if the latter is more towards Point aux Piments than TAB though going by the reviews?

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g488103-d3254…

tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g1187975-d326…

Edited: 19 August 2014, 15:09
Mentioned in this post
Pereybere
Pereybere
Mauritius
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
Dubai
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which 2 hotels

thanks Bronia, sounds like ive got a tough decision to make on the self catering front.

I have also found a villa, called Athena villas, which I think is a bit closer to Grand baie, which has a private pool too so that one is in the mix as well.

Would we need to hire a car or is it easy to get about on public transport from these areas, and also walk to restaurants and bar, and also a supermarket for essentials.

Also how much is it likely to cost to reach these areas from the airport, are we easier hiring a car from the airport and driving direct, as we could use the car to get to our all inclusive hotel when we move too.

If you were chosing an all inclusive hotel from these which would u pick and why, Shandrani, Long Beach, Heritage awali

Any help is gratefully appreciated.

Many thanks

Sue

Mentioned in this post
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which 2 hotels

Athena is off Chemin Vingt Pied road and nowhere near the sea as far as I can tell.

The other two you were considering have better locations.

Cape Point villas for instance are directly across the road from Bain Bouef beach, on the bus route and you can be in Pereybere with shops, restaurants, tour operators etc within 5 minutes or Grand Baie within 10 minutes.

If you are heading north first I would hire a car, though you could get a prebookable airport shuttle for 35 euros one way and pick a car up from a local car hire company in Grand Baie.

Shandrani has the best AI package of the 3 with champagne and all premium branded drinks included. The package begins when you arrive to when you actually leave - not check out time.

Long Beach and Awali have some AI restrictions but I haven't stayed there nor visited either so can't comment on the hotels generally.

I loved Shandrani - three beaches and set in the national marine park, lovely rooms (refurbed deluxe) and friendly well motivated staff from top management down.

I think it may be the most expensive of the three choices though.

Mentioned in this post
Pereybere
Pereybere
Mauritius
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which 2 hotels

On second thoughts you wont really need a car if you opt for the first two but Athena is a long way from Grand Baie and the beach too - its at the far end of a very long busy road.

The other two are on the bus route.

So unless you plan on doing sight seeing in the north you wouldn't really need a car..

Mentioned in this post
Grand Baie
Grand Baie
Mauritius
Dubai
Level Contributor
165 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which 2 hotels

thanks Bronia, great info.

We have decided on Cape Point suites, as want to be near the beach

Just trying to sort the all inc hotel now

While Shandrani looks great for the all inclusive package, im not sure, as I love modern hotels and Long Beach looks lovely but the all inc package is not as good

Need to make a decision soon, as this will probably be the only time we visit Mauritius, and I want it to be perfect

Mentioned in this post
UK, Mauritius
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,238 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which 2 hotels

Cape Point is a good choice.

Long Beach I haven't stayed at but have stayed at the next door Belle Mare Plage - the beach there is stunning and one of my favourites.

Think they have a night club as well?

I was thinking of Long Beach for a weekend as the residents rate was good but due home next week so may give it a try in October myself.

A choice between modernity and the better AI - difficult! Good luck with your decision and do let us know which you decide to go with :)

Edited: 21 August 2014, 12:39