We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

4 posts
Save Topic
First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

Hello, we are a couple in our thirties, travelling with friends that have young children. We are looking for a good vibes hotel, 4 star all inclusive with good beach activities. Where would you suggest we look? We're considering Beachcomber le Mauricia and le cannonier, club med point aux cannonier, or veranda point aux biches. Which would you recommend?

Budget is fairly limited.

Many thanks, been searching for days, and with so many options I'm stuck!

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

Hi Dee

We've stayed at Le Mauricia twice and love it. Of all the hotels we've stayed at it has the vibiest feel with everything centered around the pools and Baywatch Bar overlooking the beach. The grounds are fairly small by Beachcomber standards so people don't drift away to far flung parts of the resort which happens at the larger hotels. Like most Mauritian hotels there are lots of water sports included plus you have the bonus of being right in Grand Baie to take advantage of anything that's not on offer at the hotel. The only slight negative is that the view is across the bay to land on the other side, and not directly out to sea. However, we enjoyed watching the boats coming and going from the landing area at Sunset Boulevard so it didn't bother us in the slightest. The position in relation to Grand Baie is brilliant as it's a 5 minute stroll into the town whereas the others on your list would require a bus or taxi journey.

We visited Le Cannonier for lunch and it didn't have the same appeal as LM. But that could just be because we felt so at home at LM. Le Cannonier has two beaches but the pool and entertainment area feels cut off from the beach as it's further away. Sitting at the bar and restaurant I almost felt like I wasn't at the sea.

I haven't visited Club Med or VPAB so can't help you with those, I'm afraid.

Please let me know if you have any other questions regarding LM.

Regards

Dee

Edited: 27 August 2014, 07:41
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

Dear Dee,

thanks so much for your detailed reply. It helps to speak to someone who has been there, when there are so many choices! What is the night time entertainment like at Le Mauricia?

Good food is also important to us - was the food relatively good?

I have also received a quote for the Maritim hotel, 5 star, at about the same price as Le Mauricia - which would you take?

Have you heard any comments on Club Med from other posts?

thanks again!

Dee

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

The evening entertainment at most Mauritian hotels is very similar. There is a dance show of some description most evenings - sega, cabaret, Indian etc. At Le Mauricia there is a resident band who play before and after the dance shows. Music usually stops at about 11pm.

At LM there is a large buffet restaurant plus an a la carte restaurant for fine dining. The buffet restaurant offers a wide variety of foods plus they often have themed evenings eg Chinese, Mauritian or Indian. I've always enjoyed the food and found something to my taste at every meal.

If you can get the Maritim at a similar price to LM I would jump at the chance at it's a 5* compared to a 4*. Maritim also has more restaurants to choose from. However, I have read that their AI package can be confusing. Also it is more remotely situated - about 20 minutes from Grand Baie by car.

Club Med doesn't come up much on the forum but you could look at the reviews for more info. tripadvisor.co.za/Hotel_Review-g644023-d6269…

Edited: 27 August 2014, 09:37
Lancashire, UK
Destination Expert
for Flic En Flac, Mauritius
Level Contributor
19,021 posts
221 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

Good advice from Dee.

If you can get the Maritim as at similar price then I would certainly go for it as it's a 5 star hotel. Being out of Grand Baie wouldn't be an issue for me but I know others like to be near the town. You have said that beach activities are important then it shouldn't be a stumbling block.

5. Re: First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2014, 15:38
Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Mauritius
Level Contributor
5,325 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

Nilesh, please stop advertising as it is against TA rules and all of your posts will be removed.

Level Contributor
130 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

Hello

Maybe you have already booked but we stayed at Club Med in July. It was great - lovely view across the bay, large resort and lots of fun.Lots of activites incl water skiing, sailing, snorkelling boat (swam with a pod of dolphins so cant get much bettert than that) archery, tennis, gym etc. Good food. Our daughters went out to the nighclub down the road in the evening and had a great time. Good for kids too. For that matter we also went to Club Med Albion which was much classier but also wonderful.

8. Re: First timers to Mauritius- hotel choice

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 September 2015, 05:15