We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Barra or Bamboozi

breaks26
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Barra or Bamboozi

Going to spend about 5 nights at Tofo later in the year and am looking at either Barra Lodge or Bamboozi Lodge, but not sure which to go for.

As I'll be travelling alone I'd like a bit of a social atmosphere and the opportunity to meet other travellers, but I'm not into the all night partying anymore.

I know Barra Lodge offers more activities than Bamboozi but it is more geared towards families and couples than single travellers?

thanks

Karen

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
693 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Barra or Bamboozi

Hi Karen

I can not compare the two places because I stayed at a little unofficial hostel right in town (I would not recommend the place I stayed). Both Barra and Bamboozi looked great. I do have a couple suggestions.

First, where ever you stay, take time to wander into "downtown" Tofo a few times a day. There is a colorful open-air market in the center. Really beautiful.

Second, take the kayak tour to the island "Ilho do Inhambane". The tour is run by a company with an office right next to Bamboozi ("aqau adventures" or something like that). The kayaking is fun, you get an up-close look at the local dhow fishermen on your way to the island, and the island and the people who live there are beautiful. We were followed by about 50 island kids the whole 3 hours we were there. If you go, bring some type of ball as a gift to the kids. The only toys we saw were balls made of plastic shopping bags (which wash up on the island) bundled together with twine, which they use as soccer balls.

Last, all around Tofo you will be surrounded by young boys selling bracelets that they make. At first they seem like an annoyance. Take the time, however, to talk to the boys and you will gain an appreciation for like in Moz. Look for the kid named Fernando. He is Mr. Personaltiy - really fun to talk with.

My family and I traveled all around eastern SA, Swaziland, and southern Moz last July. Tofo was definitely our favorite spot. You'll have a blast.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Barra or Bamboozi

I've been at both of the lodges. Bamboozi is more for backpackers and you'll find that Barra is a bit more expensive and luxurious, although they too offer back packing accommodation. I found that Bamboozi has more activities to offer especially if you are into diving, but Barra will arrange everything you want to do. Both places are great for meeting people but you will most probably find more independant travellers at bamboozi. I fell in love with Barra Lodge, great people, great beach and great service. Enjoy and goodluck with your decision.

breaks26
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Barra or Bamboozi

Thanks for the info! Still trying to make up my mind. Perhaps I'll just toss a coin ;-)

4. Re: Barra or Bamboozi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 14:20