We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Beach Resort

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
149 reviews
Save Topic
Best Beach Resort

We are looking at going to Mozambique next September.

We prefer at least 3 star accommodation with a pool that is family friendly. We are travelling with a 7 year old child. It is preferable to stay in a Hotel that is close enough to other restaurants and places of interest.

Can anyone recommend a Hotel. I have been looking n the internet and have only found Casa Rex. are there any other places like this in Inhambane/Tofo?

Also are Prawns and Calamari in season in September? We just got back from Kenya and were very disappointed when we discovered that Jumbo Prawns, Calamari and Mangos, which are all my favourites were out of season.

Many thanks

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Beach Resort

I have been to Casa Rex, you do know this hotel is in Vilanculos?

The beach is not user friendly at all. I would not recommend Vilanculos for for timers.

Tofo/ Inhambane is the party capital. For family accomodation I would recommend the town of Bilene. I have stayed at Praia do Sol which is about 3 star.

The beach here is super child friendly because there is virtually no waves.

Also try Xai-Xai beach resort in the town of Xai-Xai, which has a very nice family friendly pool and small restaurant.

In Tofo I would recommend Paradise Dunes as a good 3 star lodge. It is under South African ownership

For expert advice, contact this travel agent who specialize in Mozambique: www.mozcon.co.za

Edited: 23 October 2010, 14:51
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
603 posts
149 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Beach Resort

Thanks for your help.

Another question? We will be in Kruger, SA and then head to Maputo. I am wanting to know what the buses are like ie/: Greyhound and the other companies. SA to Maputo. We will fly back to SA from Mozambique but thought if the bus was safe is it worth one bus ride from SA to Maputo.

Thanks

Pretoria
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Beach Resort

There is more than one very good bus service from Nelspruit to Maputo, but also from Johannesburg to Maputo. Such as Greyhound.

Nelspruit is close to Kruger.

I strongly recommend a Greyhound bus trip rather than driving yourself to Maputo by rental car.

You could of course also fly between Johannesburg and Maputo.

Just make sure you have your visa sorted. You won't be allowed on the bus without a visa.

And do not catch a Frifday or Saturday bus, the border post on weekends is madness.

In Maputo I recommend the Cardoso hotel strongly. Insist on a seaview room. Beware of cheap accomodation in Mozambique.

Do see the Polana hotel in Maputo for its architectural value, perhaps the finest building in the country.

Edited: 25 October 2010, 14:18
4. Re: Best Beach Resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 April 2011, 05:15