We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
206 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

Hi.. I was wondering..Is it possible (and safe) to drive from johannesburg to Vilanculos. Alternatively i'm considering flying to Maputo and hiring a car from there. Any advice would be appreciated as i have never been to Mozambique and am really not sure what to expect.

Thanks!

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

Safe? Yes, absolutely safe, what would you be worried about?

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
206 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

I've read a few forum posts already where people are discouraged from driving and advised to fly. I wasn't sure which areas this covered.. Hence my question

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

Hmm, maybe up around Muxungue where there was trouble for about six months witht he current civil war, but that problem has now mostly passed. Check out this website with safety updates:

mozambicanhotels.com/tourist-information/tra…

Port Elizabeth
Destination Expert
for South Africa
Level Contributor
6,346 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

It is the minimum of 3 days driving, that is why it is discouraged.

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
972 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

3 days Lamlee? I think a vast majority of people do it in two days. Certainly not a minimum of 3. Best to avoid peak hour through Maputo as this can add an extra hour or two. All in all its about 16hours of driving. 8 hours per day is certainly not too much.

Have you driven to Vilanculos Lamlee??

Amsterdam, The...
Level Contributor
206 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

Thanks for the replies. We've decided to fly into Mozambique. I have many more questions so when i'm a little further in my planning i'll be starting a new thread for sure!

Thanks again:)

Durban, South Africa
Level Contributor
64 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

Minimum 3 days drive between Jo'burg and Vilankulo?!?!?! I have friends who do it in one day!

Lamlee, I agree with Ozzie, have you ever driven to Vilankulo??

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

Joburg to Vilanculos is not a three day drive.....one or two days, Ive never heard of anyone ever taking three days

9. Re: Driving to Vilanculos from Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 April 2015, 05:15
Get answers to your questions about Mozambique