We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Few questions -First time traveller

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Few questions -First time traveller

Hi,

I'm traveling in Tanzania in October and I have around 4-5 days which I'd like to spend somewhere on the beach. As I've already visited Zanzibar twice I've decided to go somewhere else. I checked and there are flights from Dar es Salam to Maputo and Pemba, but I have few questions and hope you help me:

1. I'm citizen of Georgia and we don't have Mozambique embassy here, can I get visa on arrival?

2. which place is better to visit Maputo or Pemba?

3. How safe is travel to Mozambique? I'm traveling alone and I'm single woman.

4. what it the average cost for budget travel?

thanks in advance,

hope get the responses.

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
83 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Few questions -First time traveller

1- yes

2- probably Pemba, try to get to Murrubue, or better still, Ibo Island

3- North MUCH safer than the south

4- Once again, north cheaper than the south...

Maputo, Mozambique
Destination Expert
for Mozambique
Level Contributor
971 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Few questions -First time traveller

Hi Tjioshvili

I'm not so sure Chris have given you good advice here:

1. Its very risky getting your visa at the Mozambican border at present, I would highly recommend trying to get one before arriving.

2. Comparing Maputo and Pemba is like comparing Paris and Monaco. They are very very different. Maputo is a busy bustling city. Great for history and architecture fans, a dusty mess for people who have little interest in cities. Pemba is a tiny beach town. As you are after beaches Pemba is obviously better as Maputo's closest reasonable beach is Macaneta which is a battle to get to.

3. Mozambique is relatively safe compared to many other African countries, but anywhere you go, especially as a lone single woman, you should take precautions. Catch taxis at night from a driver your hotel trusts.

4. Very hard to work at an extra costs as it depends on whether you will eat from restaurants, or shops, travel, or stay in the city. etc. But be warned, Mozambique is one of the most expensive countries in southern Africa.

Tbilisi, Georgia
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Few questions -First time traveller

Thank you very much for your response.

I checked and from DaresSalaam to Pemba flight is available on October 15 and on October 19th, which means that I only will have 3 full days. And both way ticket costs almost $390 , which is too expensive for 3 days I suppose. Probably better is to delay the trip to Mozambique until I have more time and this time enjoy beaches on Zanzibar.

4. Re: Few questions -First time traveller

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 05:17
Get answers to your questions about Mozambique