We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mozambique Trip

Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Mozambique Trip

I am planning a trip to Mozambique in Oct/Nov. I don't know whether to book an organised itinerary or arrange my self. Is Maputo worth a visit? I will probably combine the trip with some time in South Africa so could fly in to the beach resorts direct from Joburg. If you had 2 weeks in Mozambique where would you go and what would you do?

PBB
Madrid
Level Contributor
16 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mozambique Trip

there is a good publication about Mozambique at www.ebizguides.com, in case it helps

South Africa
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mozambique Trip

I would go to the island up north. (Bazaruto, Bengeurra) My favourite island is Margarugue, although last time I was there, there was nowhere to stay. You can fly directly from Joburg to Vilanculos and the lodges will collect, The accommodation in these island can be quite pricey, so it depends on your budget.

Maputo is well worth a visit in my opinion (I am from South Africa but live here at the moment) but it depends what you are looking for in your trip. many visitors find it "a dump" but it is an interesting place and there is a lot of development. A good side trip from Maputo is to get the ferry over to Inhaca island. It takes just over an hour each way and there is a hotel which is far more reasonable than those in the Bazaruto appelago. There is fairly decent snorkelling, a local retsaurant "Lucas" which is somewhat of a legend in this region. Mozambique can be a great destination, it depends on the type of holiday you want. Also, you will need to be a little adventurous at times (By the way, I am almost 50 and I really enjoy the place) Hope this is of some help to you. Enjoy the trip

South Africa
Level Contributor
78 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mozambique Trip

I would go to the island up north. (Bazaruto, Bengeurra) My favourite island is Margarugue, although last time I was there, there was nowhere to stay. You can fly directly from Joburg to Vilanculos and the lodges will collect, The accommodation in these island can be quite pricey, so it depends on your budget.

Maputo is well worth a visit in my opinion (I am from South Africa but live here at the moment) but it depends what you are looking for in your trip. many visitors find it "a dump" but it is an interesting place and there is a lot of development. A good side trip from Maputo is to get the ferry over to Inhaca island. It takes just over an hour each way and there is a hotel which is far more reasonable than those in the Bazaruto appelago. There is fairly decent snorkelling, a local retsaurant "Lucas" which is somewhat of a legend in this region. Mozambique can be a great destination, it depends on the type of holiday you want. Also, you will need to be a little adventurous at times (By the way, I am almost 50 and I really enjoy the place) Hope this is of some help to you. Enjoy the trip

Level Contributor
24 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mozambique Trip

Thanks to the above for replies. We have booked a trip which involves sometime in SA followed by a night in Maputo and then we are flying up to the Quirimibas Islands in the very north to stay at an eco-lodge/conservation project called Guludo.

It all looks great. Thanks Caroline

Lubbock, tx
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: Mozambique Trip

Hi,

Traveling to mozambique is a unique opportunity to see the indian ocean. There are several places to visit. Before you go to Quirimbas island, just stop by Wimbe Beach, Pemba (Cabo Delgado). You will never forget the beauty of a beach. You can visit Niassa park, in Niassa province and you will enjoy the hospitality of mozambican people. I wouldn't spent more time in south africa because everybody knows about south africa. Discover new places and new beauties of africa.

Dublin
Level Contributor
99 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mozambique Trip

Hi

Mozambique is well worth a visit , go to Inhambane it is spectacular. It's a little bit of heaven.Dino's bar on Barra beach is a must, plus there are some great restaurants.You can dive with whalesharks and manta rays or just chill out on the beach. There are quite a few british guys there working,scrap that last word, they're diving for a living. they stopped off on they're way to somewhere else and never left. Lucky b*****ds.

Enjoy