We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 weeks to fill in November - any ideas?

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
2 weeks to fill in November - any ideas?

We will be in Jo-burg in November with upto 2 weeks free time - we thought about a trip to Mozambique, what is recommended - driving or flying? if we flew into Maputo, could we drive up to Vilankulos and back over an 8 - 10 day spell - any recommendations for stops en route? If we hire a Car in Joburg - is it OK to take it across the border?

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
695 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 weeks to fill in November - any ideas?

I've heard stories about hassles driving into Moz. My family and I did a 7-day tour with Blue Chilli advetures (or Blue Chili?) out of Pretoria, driving into Moz and as far north as Tofo. It was fantastic. It was just us and one other family in a van. Tofo is a beautiful beach town, with a great African feel.

Seattle, USA
Level Contributor
274 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 weeks to fill in November - any ideas?

Most car rental agencies will allow you to drive from SA into Mozambique but you will need to pay about 1000 Rand for that privilege. You can drive to Vilanculos in that time frame but be careful as there are some major potholes on that route. Just watch your speeds and don't drive at night. If you have your heart set on going there it might make more sense to make the short flight to Vilanculos -- makes much better sense of your 8 days and not much cost difference.

Johannesburg, South...
Level Contributor
1,131 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 weeks to fill in November - any ideas?

You will need a 4x4 to drive in mozambique. THe roads are in bad shape. I would definitely recommend flying into vilanculos, petrol is mozambique is reaching R15/L. If you do decide to drive, be prepared for a truck load of mozambique police stopping you with AK47's and bribing you instead of paying a hefty fine for no particular reason. And a very very long and exhausting drive.

Vilanculos
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 weeks to fill in November - any ideas?

Hi I live in Vilanculos and it is absolutey not true that you will be met by "truckloads" of gun toting police. You can hire a car in SA/Maputo and drive up to Vila comfortably in 10- 12 hours. Yes, it's true some of the main highway is pot holed but the short stretch by Xai Xai they are trying to repair and the 30k stretch by Maxixe is not so bad if you take it slow. I advise you take it easy and enjoy the trip, after all it's a scenic one. Respect the police at road blocks as you would in any other country & remember they are answerable The Moz govt is trying to deal with corruption in a pro active way but yes if you speed they will fine you.. Lastly, you do not HAVE to have 4x4.Lodges, shops &restaurants in Vila are all accessible and we reg hv overseas tourists arr having hired cars in SA in 2 wheel drive cars. Stops on the way I suggest tofu, Pomene or Morrungulo. All stunning.Enjoy... attitude is everything.

5. Re: 2 weeks to fill in November - any ideas?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 October 2009, 13:16